Jellyfin Forum
Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 (/t-using-dlna-and-quest-2-fails-with-10-8-13)

Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - MediaAdmin - 2024-02-07

I have Jellyfin 10.8.13 installed on a Rocky 8 server. When I try to use DeoVR, Pigasus or Skybox clients on the Quest 2 I get various errors. In all cases
I can see the jellyfin DLNA server but when I try to browse I have problems. In Skybox I get "network error".

This seems to be a known problem with Jellyfin DLNA going back to 2020 but I don't ever see a resolution in my googling. I'm able to use minidlna without issue on the same server. I'm also able to stream from Jellyfin using VLC on windows from the same server.

This is what the jellyfin log shows every time I try to access a video:

Code:
[2024-02-06 16:59:44.576 -06:00] [DBG] [132] Emby.Dlna.ContentDirectory.ContentDirectoryService: Profile: "Generic Device", Path: "/dbb/mediaB/test/testmovie.mp4", isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
[2024-02-06 16:59:44.577 -06:00] [ERR] [132] Emby.Dlna.ContentDirectory.ContentDirectoryService: [b]Error processing control request[/b]
[b]System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/b]
  at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem(MediaSourceInfo item, VideoOptions options)
  at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem(VideoOptions options)
  at Emby.Dlna.Didl.DidlBuilder.AddVideoResource(XmlWriter writer, BaseItem video, String deviceId, Filter filter, StreamInfo streamInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.Didl.DidlBuilder.WriteItemElement(XmlWriter writer, BaseItem item, User user, BaseItem context, Nullable`1 contextStubType, String deviceId, Filter filter, StreamInfo streamInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.ContentDirectory.ControlHandler.HandleBrowse(XmlWriter xmlWriter, IReadOnlyDictionary`2 sparams, String deviceId)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.CreateControlResponse(ControlRequestInfo requestInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.ProcessControlRequestInternalAsync(ControlRequest request)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.ProcessControlRequestAsync(ControlRequest request)

Is this issue ever been resolved?

RE: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - tmsrxzar - 2024-02-07

Profile: "Generic Device"

best guess you need to a create a profile for your device instead of using the Generic one

RE: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - MediaAdmin - 2024-02-07

I've taken a look at the DLNA profiles. Anyone have a template for the Quest2 or at least some type of starting point or tutorial?

RE: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - MediaAdmin - 2024-02-09

Is there a requirement that a DLNA profile be setup for each DLNA device type?

I use miniDLNA with all types of clients with no setup, it just works.

There does not seem to be any documentation for the DLNA profiles or I'm missing it someplace. Anyone have any they can point to?

RE: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - tmsrxzar - 2024-02-09

maybe https://github.com/jellyfin-archive/jellyfin-docs/issues/233

contextual information:

you're probably not finding much because DLNA is practically unused at this point
and was declared dead in 2017 because the company dissolved in 2016 https://www.csimagazine.com/csi/The-curious-case-of-DLNA.php

RE: Using DLNA and Quest 2 fails with 10.8.13 - SirAngelbane - 2024-05-04

I was having a similar problem with "network error" in skybox on a quest 2 using constantly when trying to just browse the list of media using DNLA.

Turns out that the problem was that when it was enumerating the files NullReferenceException errors were happening (see below)
However the last file that was listed in the log was not the file with the issue it was the next one that it was trying to read.

Through trial and error I was able to figure out what the problematic files were and I was unable to play them through the jellyfin web UI either.

Once I managed to find and remove all the files that had issues everything started working fine.

Posting this in the hope that it helps someone else.

Log error:
[2024-05-01 00:41:02.181 +00:00] [ERR] Error processing control request
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem(MediaSourceInfo item, VideoOptions options)
  at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem(VideoOptions options)
  at Emby.Dlna.Didl.DidlBuilder.AddVideoResource(XmlWriter writer, BaseItem video, String deviceId, Filter filter, StreamInfo streamInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.Didl.DidlBuilder.WriteItemElement(XmlWriter writer, BaseItem item, User user, BaseItem context, Nullable1 contextStubType, String deviceId, Filter filter, StreamInfo streamInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.ContentDirectory.ControlHandler.HandleBrowse(XmlWriter xmlWriter, IReadOnlyDictionary
2 sparams, String deviceId)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.CreateControlResponse(ControlRequestInfo requestInfo)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.ProcessControlRequestInternalAsync(ControlRequest request)
  at Emby.Dlna.Service.BaseControlHandler.ProcessControlRequestAsync(ControlRequest request)