Jellyfin Forum
Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve (/t-can-someone-help-me-figure-out-how-to-reduce-jellyfin-s-memory-usage-to-the-same-leve)

Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - 21tc_sea - 2024-04-23

Hello everyone!

I've been running containers for both Jellyfin and Emby using Docker and have mounted the same media library to each. I am working with Jellyfin version 10.8.13 and Emby version 4.8.0.56. After starting the containers, I encountered a couple of issues with Jellyfin that I'm not sure how to resolve and would greatly appreciate any help or guidance from the community.
[Image: jf-start-debug.png]
The first issue is that the Jellyfin container takes a considerable amount of time, around 10-20 minutes, to start up and allow access to the web page. In contrast, the Emby container with the same media library only takes about a minute. I checked the Jellyfin logs and noticed that it always seems to pause at a specific point during startup for a long time before it continues to log output. I've captured a screenshot at this stage to share with you all, hoping someone can help me understand what's happening during this time. What could be causing this delay, and is there an effective way to speed up the process so that Jellyfin can reach the home page as quickly as Emby does?

The second issue is the discrepancy in memory usage between the two. Upon startup, Jellyfin's memory usage is around 4GB, whereas Emby's is under 1GB. How can I address this problem and reduce Jellyfin's memory usage to match Emby's level under the same conditions? I've attached two screenshots showing the resource usage for both for your reference.
[Image: jellyfin-mem.png]
[Image: emby-mem.png]
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

RE: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-23

Jellyfin only takes about 5 seconds to boot on my system. Both my bare metal "production" instance and all 4 of my docker testing instances. Are your containers running off HDDs or SSDs?

I'd need to see the full log. The section you are showing is only 4 seconds of the boot process. Share via sourcebin or pastebin.

The "vEthernet" message is a default behavior of Jellyfin to ignore virtual interfaces with a particular name.

After Jellyfin was forked from Emby, Jellyfin was migrated to .Net for wider compatibility. .Net aggressively caches data and the docker memory usage gauge does not distinguish between reserved memory usage and cached memory usage. When another app needs memory, Linux will immediately take back cached memory.

RE: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - paulc - 2024-04-23

Ignore the lan bit and the log entries after that and look in your log and see when it starts processing again after a long pause and start troubleshooting the last and next process after the log pause. It could be a plugin. I had like a 20-minute pause and disabled whatever plugin it was and things bounced back normally.

That's all I got to offer as far as troubleshooting this.

RE: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-24

Ah. I recall a couple other users find that some rando plugin was the root cause.

RE: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out How to Reduce Jellyfin's Memory Usage to the Same Leve - paulc - 2024-04-24

(2024-04-24, 01:04 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Ah.  I recall a couple other users find that some rando plugin was the root cause.

Years ago, the anime plugin caused it. That wasn't my issue, though. I can't remember which plugin mine was, but it annoyed the wife whenever I had to restart, and I remember that. Winking-face