Jellyfin Forum
Not able to delete Media - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Not able to delete Media (/t-not-able-to-delete-media)

Pages: 1 2

Not able to delete Media - giannis371 - 2023-10-19

I have Jellyfin installed on LXC Proxmox and my Movies are on TrueNas.

When i try do delete a Movie over Jellyfin web GUI i get  There was an error deleting the item from the server. Please check that  Jellyfin has write access to the media folder and try again.

I guess it has something to do with permissions but i cant find the problem, i tried everything with no success. I created user and group jellyfin for the MEDIA directory and gave rwx persmission.

dir -ls

drwxrwxr-x  2 jellyfin jellyfin 4096 Jun 17 23:33 MEDIA

and on fstab these are my settings.

//192.168.31.104/movies  /MEDIA/private  cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials, rw, uid=110 ,gid=118, iocharset=utf8, file_mode=0777, dir_mode=0777, noauto, x-systemd.automount 0 0

id -u jellyfin 110
id -g jellyfin 118`

I would be grateful for any advice!

RE: Not able to delete Media - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-19

(2023-10-19, 09:12 AM)giannis371 Wrote: drwxrwxr-x  2 jellyfin jellyfin 4096 Jun 17 23:33 MEDIA

But what about all the files and folders under that?  Does Jellyfin have sufficient permissions?  For deletion, Jellyfin would need read, write, execute on directories.  Read and write on files.

RE: Not able to delete Media - giannis371 - 2023-10-19

Thanks for the fast response. When I use dir -la it just lists the MEDIA directory and not the subfolders and files. But I used chmod -R (recursive) for the MEDIA directory to give everything permission.

I'll have to do some testing when I get home. I'll get back to you later today.

RE: Not able to delete Media - Deleted User - 2023-10-19

(2023-10-19, 01:22 PM)giannis371 Wrote: Thanks for the fast response. When I use dir -la it just lists the MEDIA directory and not the subfolders and files. But I used chmod -R (recursive) for the MEDIA directory to give everything permission.

for reference
ls accepts R for recursive
if you add n it will list the permissions in numerical uid:gid so you can skip identifying a username and groupname

f.e. ls -laRn

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/ls-command-in-linux

Did my test. Jellyfin deleted my test media. Jellyfin had group ownership of the file and folder. Had RWX permissions on the folder and RW on the file. Deleted as expected.

If you have any ACLs on your directories (there will be a + at the end of the permissions), that can also trip you up on permissions.

RE: Not able to delete Media - digitaltrance - 2023-12-01

(2023-10-19, 11:09 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Did my test.  Jellyfin deleted my test media.  Jellyfin had group ownership of the file and folder.  Had RWX permissions on the folder and RW on the file.  Deleted as expected.

If you have any ACLs on your directories (there will be a + at the end of the permissions), that can also trip you up on permissions.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

I have the Jellyfin (ubuntu server) pointing to a synology NAS. The Jellyfin server has a CIFS mount using fstab. Does the Jellyfin server need some kind of permission to access the creds file to NAS?

Hope that's not confusing. I have fstab file with another SMB creds file that allows RW permission to the NAS, it reads fine as I see the media in JF.

RE: Not able to delete Media - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-01

If, in the fstab mount parameters you provided credentials and a UID and GID, all accesses to the mount will appear as that UID in the NAS.

RE: Not able to delete Media - digitaltrance - 2023-12-01

This is my mount parameters.

//10.10.0.25/Media /media/Jellyfin cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.SMBcredentials

RE: Not able to delete Media - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-01

You should also provide a UID and GID to your mount parameters. IIRC, should match the UID/GID of the user on the hosting side of the share

Code:
//10.10.0.25/Media /media/Jellyfin cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.SMBcredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000

Replace UID 1000 and GID 1000 with whatever it should be.