Jellyfin Forum
Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 (/t-roku-fails-to-playback-videos-that-require-transcoding-from-4k-h265-main10)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - poptrek - 2023-12-11

Roku plays h264 1080 content just fine. It doesn't try to transcode the file. I have gotten some new videos at 4k that I have encoded to h265 main10@L5.1@main. I have also encoded the audio to ACC(Two tracks 7.1 and 5.1) This requires a transcode to play on both Roku and Firefox players that I know of. Jellyfin transcodes just fine on Firefox and even better once I upped the CPU core allotment. When I try on roku I see no errors in the log other than jellyfin receiving the q command.

I am running on trueNAS scale with most current version same goes with Roku. It is a 1080p display for roku.(I have VR headset and run Bigscreen App for the 4k content when my headset is charged ... So I don't want to lose the resolution either)

I have tried different transcode settings. HVEC transcode if possible, playback in fMPG if available, Throttle transcode. Running a CRF of 20(h265) and 16(h264). I have also tried main10@L5@main. I don't want to go to 8 bit(Looking at a 6hr encoded from OG source(Main10@L5.1@High to even try). I have also tried binding to host network. I has saw someone state their issue might be a network error with basic auth and HTTP

Log

Update I forgot I had some 480 content encoded to h265 with defaults at 8 bit and this works just fine on roku. Just not my 4k content. I don't want to lose quality so I would like to keep it at 10bit and not try 8bit cause I have space constraints and don't have room for two files of the same movie. I have tried forcing the max resolution setting to see if it was this to no avail.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-11

two things that could be causing issues for you, the 4K resolution or the PGS subs
quick test for the subs, remove them in a test file ffmpeg -i (infile).mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a -c copy (testfile).mkv
if it turns out to be the 4K resolution then there will be an upcoming roku client that allows forced scaling which will be set on the client side in the app

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-11

There was a conversation in the Matrix chat about Roku and subs. IIRC, the Roku app doesn't support PGS subs.

Side note, did you upgrade to the recently released 2.0 Roku app?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - poptrek - 2023-12-11

I have what ever version Roku updates the app to on its own schedule. I have played around with it and I think it has something to do with the transcode settings it is trying and placing to much load on the server. For whatever reason Firefox/Web Portal player even at 4k 120 MB/s quality the server has plenty of grunt. I don't know if there is something behind the scenes that handles that sets better transcodes settings. But when I try my 4k roku device(I have a Roku TV and a 4k stick installed on a 1080p display) it does play but stalls. The logs show it was running at .45x. Have had no luck with ffmpeg and subtitles and I just let it copy them to avoid errors. I will try to default the video to off with the subs Log from Web Portal run Log for 4k roku stick last attempt messing with settings to speed up transcode

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-11

THe first one is CPU encoding to H264, the second CPU encoding to H265 (the slower one).

What are your server specs? Do you have a GPU, even an Intel iGPU, for hardware acceleration?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - poptrek - 2023-12-12

I do not have a spare GPU to assign to jellyfin. Running a ryzen 7 5700x with 6 cores allotted to Jellyfin and 4 Gi of ram. I do believe I tried no hvec encoding setting. I guess I will try that again. Is there a way to force Jellyfin Roku to refresh new settings or does it do it every app launch? I am also trying to get DNLA working so I can just stream it directly to my VR device that should play it directly with no transcoding(Can't find the path error when connecting to jellyfin from Bigscreen App on Meta Quest 3). If I can get the DNLA server working I can just re-encoded the OG source to 1080 which should fix the issue but I am still not to keen on having duplicate files. Especially when some videos have grain and pushes the bitrate way high.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-12

What kind of GPU?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - poptrek - 2023-12-12

Alright it seems to be a problem with version 1.6 of Jellyfin Roku Thanks for you patience. I just installed Jellyfin 2 days ago and figured I had the most up to date version.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require 4k transcoding - poptrek - 2023-12-17

Sorry for bringing this back. Version 2.0 gets it to start playing but then crashes after a ~1 min https://pastebin.com/r4ueaeE4 log. For what ever reason it is being told to stop. It ran fine for over an hour on the web version streaming at 4k but when I switched devices to Roku no luck. I do have an A380 GPU for transcode but on my current server environment it is not supported yet Slightly-frowning-face I might switch to OMV instead but I doubt this will fix this issue. As in the log the transocde was running at 1.5x

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - poptrek - 2023-12-18

Update for those that are having an issue. My best guess is there is a performance check that occurs and if your below a threshold it fails. After many hours of working I was able to get the A380 working on Arch in a docker after migrating from trueNAS. Unfortunately if your looking for this kind of upgrade Arch does not natively have a webGUI for interface and everything has to be done by CLI but this is the only currently stable OS I know of that supports the A380 + ZFS 2.2. My performace numbers after getting the A380 encoding enabled shot up to 8x from 1.5 with all the bells and whistles turned on.(I could smell my GPU cooking off that new video card smell Winking-face )