Jellyfin Forum
Android app stop playing - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Android app stop playing (/t-android-app-stop-playing)

Pages: 1 2

Android app stop playing - pixel24 - 2024-06-23

Hi@all,

We're running JF 10.9.6 and currently using it with two users. One is myself with my old Pixel 4XL (GrapheneOS) and my girlfriend with her Pixel 6 Pro (StockROM). We're both in the same WiFi network with a very strong signal (2 meters away from the router). This morning, I started shuffle play over the entire music library on both devices. On my phone, it plays continuously without any issues. However, on my girlfriend's phone, the playback stops after a short time.

The app displays the pause button as if the current song is still playing. Clicking pause and then play again doesn't change anything—it still doesn't play. However, when clicking on "forward," it starts playing the next song.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue?

with best

RE: Android app stop playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-23

Can you provide specific replication steps? Like exactly what she is pressing or which interface she is initiating the shuffle all. I'm trying to replicate the problem on my Pixel 6a.

RE: Playlists disappeared after the update - pixel24 - 2024-06-23

Start the app -> Open library -> Songs -> Shuffle Play

On my Android, it plays through, but it stops on hers.

RE: Android app stop playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-23

Does this problem happen shortly after you start playback? I used your steps and I've been listening for about 20 minutes uninterrupted.

Try clearing the Jellyfin app's data and try again?

RE: Android app stop playing - pixel24 - 2024-06-24

We just tested it with my girlfriend's phone. Opened the app and started shuffle play in the album view. The first song played, but then it just stopped. The phone is currently charging, so it can't be the power-saving mode (I think).

When the playback stopped, I checked the queue, and all the upcoming songs were displayed. Pressing the "Next" button played the next song. It's really strange :-(

I've tested various things. It seems to be related to the screen lock. As soon as the screen lock is activated, the app plays the current track to the end and then stops.
In the Admin UI, I see the message "m.girlfriend was disconnected from Pixel 6 Pro". In the logfile, I see:

Code:
Jun 24 10:49:03 media02 jellyfin[682]: [10:49:03] [INF] User policy for m.girlfriend. EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
Jun 24 10:49:15 media02 jellyfin[682]: [10:49:15] [INF] Sending ForceKeepAlive message to 1 inactive WebSockets.
Jun 24 10:50:03 media02 jellyfin[682]: [10:50:03] [INF] Sending ForceKeepAlive message to 1 inactive WebSockets.
Jun 24 10:50:51 media02 jellyfin[682]: [10:50:51] [INF] Sending ForceKeepAlive message to 1 inactive WebSockets.
Jun 24 10:51:19 media02 jellyfin[682]: [10:51:19] [INF] Playback stopped reported by app Jellyfin Android 2.6.1 playing Enjoy The Silence ⁄ Interlude #2∶ Crucified. Stopped at 372800 ms

In the app settings (Android), "Background usage" is enabled for Jellyfin.

I see the following message in the log file that indicates a disconnection. However, I have no idea why this happens with my girlfriend's device and not with mine, even though we are using the same app.

Code:
Jun 24 11:27:58 media02 jellyfin[682]: [11:27:58] [WRN] WS 2a02:8071:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz:773c:d0f:1762 error receiving data: The remote party closed the WebSocket connection without completing the close handshake.

Jun 24 11:27:58 media02 jellyfin[682]: [11:27:58] [INF] WS 2a02:8071:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz:773c:d0f:1762 closed

RE: Android app stop playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-24

Ok. I've seen this with the official app before. Android doesn't make it easy to find all the settings to stop this behavior. But the easy fix is to use another app.

You should give Finamp a try. Make sure you sign up for the beta in the app store so you get the much much better reworked version.

https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-announcing-finamp-s-redesign-beta

If you'd rather stick with the official app, read my post in this thread. It lists out all the battery/data saver/optimization settings in Android.

https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-jellyfin-android-app-disconnecting?pid=21120#pid21120

RE: Android app stop playing - jellybum - 2024-08-11

I also had the same behaviour, however if I used the slider and moved a few seconds forward from the error point (which typically happened around the 1:30 mark, except if the song was around 2 mins, then it played the whole thing OK) then the song would continue to play.

For longer tracks (e.g. 7 mins) the issue would reoccur later in the track. Same thing, sliding ahead a few seconds "fixed" it.

Going back before the issue point caused the issue to occur at exactly the same spot.

I haven't checked any logs yet.
I've installed Finamp and so far it's working nicely. Unlike Symfonium, it picked up the playlists and I'm shuffling one that's got >5K songs, so we'll see how we go Grinning-face

Would be nice to have the option to sort playlists by various criteria, but I'll dig around before crying about that!!

RE: Android app stop playing - Tolriq - 2024-08-16

"Unlike Symfonium, it picked up the playlists"

Jellyfin made an undocumented change on the returned value on the API for playlists, this is already fixed in Symfonium beta.