Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically (/t-solved-jellyfin-container-crashes-at-irregular-times-and-doesn-t-go-back-up-automatically)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - jellyfin24 - 2024-07-20

The version of Jellyfin you are running

Your installation method and platform
  • Debian 12 Minimal running latest Docker/Compose on a HP ProDesk 600 G4 Mini MediaServer with Intel i5-8500T, Intel UHD Graphics 630 and 16GB of RAM.
  • Host machine has 2 NVME drives, one has the OS and all containers, the other has <redacted by mod>, and an Unraid share is also used as media source.
  • Stack is created through Dockge (but problem persists even when creating the container outside Dockge).
  • Container used is the official Jellyfin version as seen below.

Here's the docker compose file (inspired from the official guide):

Quote:services:
  jellyfin:
    container_name: {redacted by mod}1_jellyfin
    image: jellyfin/jellyfin
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - UMASK=002
      - TZ=Europe/London
    network_mode: host
    group_add:
      - "105" # In terminal run the command and put the number here >>> getent group render | cut -d: -f3
    volumes:
      - /home/user/docker_backup/jellyfin/config:/config
      - /home/user/docker_backup/jellyfin/cache:/cache
      - type: bind
        source: /mnt/2TB_DISK/{redacted by mod}/watch_or_save
        target: /watch_or_save
        read_only: true
        source: /mnt/2TB_DISK/HOME_VIDEOS
        target: /HOME_VIDEOS
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/ANIMATED
        target: /ANIMATED
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/DOCUMENTARIES
        target: /DOCUMENTARIES
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/FILMS
        target: /FILMS
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/MUSIC_VIDEOS
        target: /MUSIC_VIDEOS
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/STANDUP
        target: /STANDUP
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/TV_SHOWS
        target: /TV_SHOWS
        source: /mnt/UNRAID_MEDIA/XMAS
        target: /XMAS
    devices:
      - /dev/dri/renderD128:/dev/dri/renderD128
      - /dev/dri/card0:/dev/dri/card0

A brief description of the issue as your thread subject, using the description for additional important context only if required
Jellyfin container crashes at irregular intervals

A full explanation of what is happening, versus what you expect to happen
The container crashes without any obvious reason. Has happened while the server is not accessed by any client, and I also experienced a crash while playing media. All media plays fine when the container is up.
Furthermore, even though the container is set to "restart: unless-stopped", it does not restart.
The server has the <redacted by mod> (including <redacted by mod>) and I have scanned Jellyfin's Libraries in <redacted by mod> (if that makes any difference at all).
I expect the container to stay up, and when/if it crashes, to restart automatically.

What client(s) you are using and how the issue manifests
I think that's irrelevant in my case, but I am only using the Jellyfin app on a Nvidia Shield TV. That's the only machine playing Jellyfin media, no mobiles, no external access, only one single client in the local LAN. The container crashes regardless of whether I am using the client or not.

Any other context you might think is relevant
I don't quite understand how to show the logs as my installation is through Docker Compose. I have attached the latest log that I found under Dashboard > Advanced > Logs but not sure this is the one needed to troubleshoot. You will notice there that there are no entries after 10:52:57, but the crash happened around 15:29 and I restarted the container around 16:05.

I have removed the container fully and rebuilt it 5-6 times (after clearing any folders, settings, downloaded images, volumes, networks etc), and the same thing keeps happening. No issues with high temperatures on the host machine, plenty of disk space available (over 200 GB) on both NVME drives, all other containers working fine and never crashing.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong please?

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - jellyfin24 - 2024-07-20

Here's another log file, from another crash that happened a few minutes ago

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-20

Please follow the community standards: https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/community-standards/#code-of-conduct

Quote:Do not engage in, encourage, facilitate or discuss piracy in any Jellyfin communities. Jellyfin is a media server system for your own media collection; how you obtain media is not our concern and is not to be discussed in our communities in any form. Do not ask about where or how to obtain media, do not ask about, sell, trade, or otherwise facilitate access to other users' servers or discuss any piracy related topics. This includes discussing technologies commonly used for piracy and personal philosophies about it, in our communities. Please also refrain from discussing any topic that is closely related to piracy or accompanying topics and technology.

I've redacted the mentions of those tools in your first post.
We cannot provide support here if your problems are related to those tools.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at your logs, they look normal enough. They don't really point to an issue that could be causing the restarts.

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - jellyfin24 - 2024-07-22

(2024-07-20, 04:45 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Looking at your logs, they look normal enough. They don't really point to an issue that could be causing the restarts.

Thank you for replying, that's the problem, there is nothing in these logs at all to show that there is an issue.
Would you say the issue lies with Dockge?

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-22

You can try looking at the Docker daemon logs with this command.

Code:
sudo journalctl -u docker.service

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - jellyfin24 - 2024-07-23

(2024-07-22, 01:41 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You can try looking at the Docker daemon logs with this command.

Code:
sudo journalctl -u docker.service

Thank you. Here's a pastebin from the latest crash:

https://pastebin.com/izLRtMru

Is this of any assistance?

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - 34626 - 2024-07-23

seems

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-23

I'm not sure that is the entire daemon log. Try this instead. It will output to a text file.

Code:
sudo journalctl -u docker.service --no-tail > docker_daemon.txt

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - jellyfin24 - 2024-07-24

Here's a longer one produced with that command > https://pastebin.com/AAmQSVWB

RE: Jellyfin container crashes at irregular times and doesn't go back up automatically - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-24

Can you provide jellyfin logs for any day from the 21st through 24? The first jellyfin log you posted is from the 20th. The docker daemon log starts on the 21st.

So I need to be able to line up Jellyfin dying with the docker daemon logs.

Having said that, I see the docker service restarting several times. Not sure if that is you restarting the server or service, or if that is docker dying.

I also see these messages that I will need to research.

Code:
Jul 24 03:45:04 MediaServer dockerd[587]: time="2024-07-24T03:45:04.645838159+01:00" level=warning msg="ShouldRestart failed, container will not be restarted" container=a8976981dd9f54312e6c59813bee23b29122b387008093a68fd5219c243a4ae0 daemonShuttingDown=false error="restart canceled" execDuration=1h31m23.512680625s exitStatus="{0 2024-07-24 02:45:04.619095985 +0000 UTC}" hasBeenManuallyStopped=true restartCount=0