Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Metadata wont refresh - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Metadata wont refresh (/t-solved-metadata-wont-refresh)

Pages: 1 2

Metadata wont refresh - .xvi - 2024-08-15

I have been using Jellyfin for my movies for several months now and I have never had any issues with metadata before. As I've moved through my DVD collection I have now gone from ripping movies to shows, this has proven to be difficult so far as the detected metadata and episode order have been flat-out wrong. Despite having the correct IMDB/TVDB IDs and following the proper file naming convention, Jellyfin will ignore that and mislabel them anyway. As seen in the screenshots below it has the finale episodes labeled there twice yet it is actually the last four episodes and not the last two repeated. It also ignores the names of the first two episodes and gives them the names of the ones after. The individual IMDB/TVDB IDs for each episode are in many cases wrong because of this and manually changing it does nothing no matter how many times I refresh metadata, restart, clear cache, etc. This is EXTREMELY frustrating and any help is much appreciated.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-15

Jellyfin pretty much ignores the episode name in your file name.  It only cares about the season number and episode number.

As for getting the ordering wrong, many shows have multiple orderings.  One for when it aired, another, different, ordering for the DVD box sets. There can also be "absolute" orders, "Arc" orders, even multiples of the same type. Different regions got different box sets with different orders, for example.

By default Jellyfin uses the aired ordering, which often doesn't line up with box sets.

When you open the listing for the show, click on the context menu "..." on the right and "Edit Metadata".  About halfway down there will be a Display Ordering drop down.  This menu is a generic list and does not dynamically pull down available options from TMDB/TVDB.

IIRC, after you save the change it should trigger it to rescan and rename all the episodes.  Make sure to wait a few seconds and then ctrl+f5 to make sure any cached data is flushed.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - .xvi - 2024-08-15

Sorry, I should have mentioned in the original post that I do have it set to be listed in 'DVD' order. I have tried setting it to something else like 'Production' and 'Absolute' and refreshing but it does nothing. I find this to be extremely weird as when I first added the episodes I set it from 'Aired' to 'DVD' and it worked accordingly but now it appears to just do nothing.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-15

Sometimes metadata is "sticky" and won't change (no explanation for why). Remove the show from your library, rescan the library, add it back in, rescan the library again. You may have to set the display order again after this.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - .xvi - 2024-08-16

Still no luck unfortunately. Any other ideas?

RE: Metadata wont refresh - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-16

Can you provide example folder and file names? Maybe a few full path examples.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - .xvi - 2024-08-18

Sure. I have it laid out like this: "Main Directory\Shows\Star Wars Rebels (2014)\Season 01\S01E01.mkv". Is it possible to use the episode names instead of the S#E# format? If so do you think that could work?

RE: Metadata wont refresh - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-19

I'm assuming "Shows" is where your library is pointed at. Having file names that are simply S##E## is definitely valid. That is how my entire shows and anime libraries are named.

Can you provide a link for the ordering you want? You mention IMDB and TVDB. Do you have the TVDB plugin installed? It isn't included by default.

RE: Metadata wont refresh - .xvi - 2024-08-20

You are correct with 'Shows' being where the library is pointed. I do have the TVDB plugin installed.

Here's the TVDB link for what I'm trying to get. https://www.thetvdb.com/series/star-wars-rebels/seasons/dvd/1

RE: Metadata wont refresh - theguymadmax - 2024-08-20

Make sure that TheTVDB Metadata downloaders are set as the top priority for all categories in your library.