Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin has washed out colors (Violet Evergarden) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin has washed out colors (Violet Evergarden) (/t-solved-jellyfin-has-washed-out-colors-violet-evergarden)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin has washed out colors (Violet Evergarden) - voltangle - 2024-08-18

I have tested these approaches:
- Jellyfin Web UI in Arc (Chromium 127)
- Latest (current) JMP
- Swiftfin (iOS)
- Jellyfin (iOS)
- Jellyfin (Android)
- IINA over Jellyfin (URL stream)
- VLC over Jellyfin (URL stream)
- IINA over SMB (opened file in a network share)

And only the IINA over SMB (FYI: IINA is a macOS player based on mpv, https://github.com/iina/iina) gave me the correct colors. Screenshots for comparison are in attachments (one of the screenshots showcases how I manually altered the video in IINA to look like all other solutions).

IINA over SMB

JMP

IINA over SMB with altered settings to mimic how it looks in JMP (cranked up brightness)

Is this a bug? or am I just stoopid and I misconfigured something?

Media info from Jellyfin

RE: Jellyfin has washed out colors - Sash - 2024-08-18

You shouldn't have washed up colors witha an 8bit SDR videos.

Check if you messed with the tone mapping settings in Jellyfin>Dashboard>Playback settings.

JF comes with BT.2390 as the default tone mapping algorithm.

RE: Jellyfin has washed out colors - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-18

What episode number and time stamp? I have Violet Evergarden and I will see if I can reproduce this.

RE: Jellyfin has washed out colors - gnattu - 2024-08-18

IINA by default loads the display ICC to correct colors, can you try disable that in Settings->Video/Audio and see if that shows the color similar to JMP?

BTW, your ICC profile looks a little bit off or your monitor really has a very different calibrated white point. The IINA one looks too dark to me, at least on my display:

RE: Jellyfin has washed out colors - voltangle - 2024-08-18

(2024-08-18, 03:22 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What episode number and time stamp?  I have Violet Evergarden and I will see if I can reproduce this.

Very start of episode 4

(2024-08-18, 04:15 PM)gnattu Wrote: BTW, your ICC profile looks a little bit off or your monitor really has a very different calibrated white point. The IINA one looks too dark to me, at least on my display

Welp, I have a Hackintosh with sRGB set as its color profile, but that should not be a problem because my iPhone Xr displays basically the same picture

The whole thing actually is just determining if I'm a dumbass and my copy of Violet Evergarden is just bad (or it's supposed to be like this), or is Jellyfin tweaking

(2024-08-18, 03:20 PM)Sash Wrote: You shouldn't have washed up colors witha an 8bit SDR videos.

Check if you messed with the tone mapping settings in Jellyfin>Dashboard>Playback settings.

JF comes with BT.2390 as the default tone mapping algorithm.

I do not have any hardware encoding set, everything is done via software (I don't have a GPU and my CPU is a Xeon E3-1230 v2 lmao)

> but that should not be a problem because my iPhone Xr displays basically the same picture

If I understand you correct, as you said this:

> only the IINA over SMB (FYI: IINA is a macOS player based on mpv, https://github.com/iina/iina) gave me the correct colors

So your iPhone also displays the washed out one right? Because that is closer to the "correct" representation and IINA loads your incorrect ICC profile basically displays the wrong too dark color

Hmm, that is quite puzzling
The thing is, other anime that I have on my server display fine (I just binged two seasons of Kaguya, and its colors are good), and only Violet Evergarden is broken
I have no idea if its some issue with video encoding or it's actually that the source has washed out colors and my displays show it, in fact, correctly (although not as I want it to look)

I just checked with IINA's ICC profile option disabled, and the colors actually became the same as in JMP
So, how do I fix this? 😅😅

Yes, I do realize that my color profile is probably botched, but that's the whole thing with dailying a Hackintosh - everything stands on paper straws and barely works
I had to manually set a "General RGB" profile in macOS Settings so that the colors don't look stupid (without changing the profile blue looks like purple lmao)
But if IINA works - and it's also mpv, I guess JMP should also be workin fine

Also asked my friend to check on his Android phone (afaik Realme 13), basically looks the same (washed out)