Jellyfin Forum
Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 (/t-roku-fails-to-playback-videos-that-require-transcoding-from-4k-h265-main10)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Revv23 - 2024-04-21

So is 4k working on your roku?

Ive never had 4k working for more than a few minutes in roku, even with monster level hardware.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-21

I don't have a 4K TV, but mine transcodes and tone maps 4K HDR to 1080P SDR on my Roku without issue.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Revv23 - 2024-04-21

I was using an N100 box with QSV last night I'm going to try my 13900k once I get set up - it didn't work months ago but perhaps with the updated roku apps it's been fixed.

I had pretty much given up - but I'm coming back to it as i just moved & old homeowner left a projector with surround sound setup . It doesn't error out it just stops streaming in some cases and buffers in others.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-22

An N100 should be able to handle at least two 4K HDR to SDR streams. What OS are you running? And you aren't running out of disk space for the transcodes?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Revv23 - 2024-04-25

(2024-04-22, 06:14 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: An N100 should be able to handle at least two 4K HDR to SDR streams.  What OS are you running?  And you aren't running out of disk space for the transcodes?

I think it's a roku issue not a server issue. I've had this issue on Roku Ultra, 4k+, & 4k+ streaming stick. Server setups I've tried:
-Linux mint
-windows10
-proxmox lxc

Hardware:
7900xtx
n100.
512gb HDD 16GB Ram minimum.

I have Disabled HEVC playback on all of my Roku's. With it off I was able to watch 4k content for 60 minutes without interruption. Hopefully it lasts for  a whole movie. It's just annoying because now i have to transcode 1080p as well, and i'd prefer to direct play everything my hardware can handle.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-25

Ah. I vaguely recall another user have this issue. They opted to disable HEVC as a transcoding option on the server side.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Revv23 - 2024-05-06

(2024-04-25, 08:16 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Ah.  I vaguely recall another user have this issue.  They opted to disable HEVC as a transcoding option on the server side.

Considering I had to disable HEVC playback on roku (forcing a transcode) Wouldn't this  effectively make h265 unplayable on roku all together?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-06

SOMETHING about the HEVC of your videos isn't working with the Rokus. Based on the testing I've done on my media, my HEVC 10-bit media (but not HDR) will not direct play. They are transcoded to 8-bit HEVC. My 8-bit HEVC media direct plays.

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - Revv23 - 2024-05-07

(2024-05-06, 04:39 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: SOMETHING about the HEVC of your videos isn't working with the Rokus.  Based on the testing I've done on my media, my HEVC 10-bit media (but not HDR) will not direct play.  They are transcoded to 8-bit HEVC.  My 8-bit HEVC media direct plays.

Yes I agree with you there - which is why i disabled HEVC Direct play on my clients... I'm trying  to understand your comment "Disable HEVC server side"

Do you mean  disable HEVC encoding?

RE: Roku Fails to Playback Videos that require transcoding from 4k h265 main10 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-07

Yes. There is a setting in Dashboard > Playback called "Allow encoding in HEVC format" (going from memory). This only changes transcodes to exclusively use H264. If you have an H265 file that the client says it can direct play, disabling this setting won't change direct play behavior.

But this was a troubleshooting step, not necessarily the solution.

What is the media info for the files your Rokus won't play?