Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Roku App Playback Issues - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Roku App Playback Issues (/t-solved-roku-app-playback-issues)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Roku App Playback Issues - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-09

you have no issues at all?

how about the 2 rokus a firestick and an iphone?

RE: Roku App Playback Issues - Revv23 - 2024-01-09

It's likely that your server can't transcode whatever it's trying to deliver to the roku.

Anything working on that server is likely working as direct play only. We can try tweaking your clients to be more compatable with whatever content you are playing to avoid transcodes as much as possible.

Investigate your roku settings and make sure direct play for mpeg-4 and HEVC are both enabled (depending on your roku model) Also make sure that H.264/HEVC direct play are enabled as well.

To do this on ruku enter jellyfin app ->* -> settings -> playback

For the firestick - I have never used one but I think it's androidtv based, if so, try going to your playback settings, select your player, and choose the libVLC player.

These may or may not help with your issue - the best bet is to find cheapest intel minipc you can that supports QSV then you should be able to transcode to just about anything.

RE: Roku App Playback Issues - obsoleteBITW - 2024-01-09

Revv23 dateline='[url=tel:1704836558' Wrote: 1704836558[/url]']
It's likely that your server can't transcode whatever it's trying to deliver to the roku.

Anything working on that server is likely working as direct play only. We can try tweaking your clients to be more compatable with whatever content you are playing to avoid transcodes as much as possible.

Investigate your roku settings and make sure direct play for mpeg-4 and HEVC are both enabled (depending on your roku model) Also make sure that H.264/HEVC direct play are enabled as well.

To do this on ruku enter jellyfin app ->* -> settings  -> playback

For the firestick - I have never used one but I think it's androidtv based, if so, try going to your playback settings, select your player, and choose the libVLC player.

These may or may not help with your issue - the best bet is to find cheapest intel minipc you can that supports QSV then you should be able to transcode to just about anything.

So this actually helped my issue! The only thing now is that I’m having a hard time doing anything that is a blu ray rip. I’ll toy around with some overclock settings on the Pi to see if that helps out any. But overall I’m back up and running all my normal DVD rips. Thank you so much!

RE: Roku App Playback Issues - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-09, 11:01 PM)obsoleteBITW Wrote: So this actually helped my issue! The only thing now is that I’m having a hard time doing anything that is a blu ray rip. I’ll toy around with some overclock settings on the Pi to see if that helps out any. But overall I’m back up and running all my normal DVD rips. Thank you so much!

Your client probably wants the blurays transcoded, which a RPi just can't do.

RE: Roku App Playback Issues - Revv23 - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-09, 11:01 PM)obsoleteBITW Wrote: So this actually helped my issue! The only thing now is that I’m having a hard time doing anything that is a blu ray rip. I’ll toy around with some overclock settings on the Pi to see if that helps out any. But overall I’m back up and running all my normal DVD rips. Thank you so much!

Nice! If it's trying to transcode the blueray's no way is any amount of overclocking going to help. Think about it if it cant handle a DVD rip it's not going to handle a BDrip.

Though now that I've typed that your 4k TV shouldnt need a transcode to play a blueray. Is it unable to play on the firestick and the roku? I was having a weird transcoding issue with my roku the other day ( it was transcoding when it didn't need to) and tmsrxzar pointed me in the right direction, he said most of the time its the audio codec or subtitles causing issues.

Try this on your Roku (in jellyfin) go to settings -> audio -> force DTS over EAC3. I still don't know why it worked for me. My working theory is that it was downmimxing it to stereo from a 7.1 channel mix. Don't know why changing this flag fixed it but it did.

YMMV but its worth a shot. Good luck. Also might be worth messing around in the roku system settings too but im not  familiar with your TV.