Jellyfin Forum
Behind vpn and dns. No connection - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: Behind vpn and dns. No connection (/t-behind-vpn-and-dns-no-connection)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Behind vpn and dns. No connection - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-05

(2024-07-05, 11:35 AM)hedztrem Wrote: yes i did, perhaps i had it wrong. I mean. My setup for ovpn is in openvpn on my asus router with merlin. And there i also created a dns to reach my computer from outside my home. I cant get jellyfin to work but yesterday i noticed i can sucessfully go to web gui for the router outside my home trough my dns-adress with port 8443. 
How did you find this out if you haven't got the OpenVPN client on your phone?
Accessing your router's web interface does not necessarily mean the VPN is working. It could also be configured to allow access from the outside.

(2024-07-05, 11:35 AM)hedztrem Wrote: So no, i dont have openvpn client in phone. The asus router takes all my devices through its own openvpn. But when you asked me to test internal ip from phone i downloaded ovpn app and tested it on my phone
So what's your plan to access your private VPN from the outside, and what is it that doesn't work?

RE: Behind vpn and dns. No connection - hedztrem - 2024-07-05

(2024-07-05, 12:02 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote:
(2024-07-05, 11:35 AM)hedztrem Wrote: yes i did, perhaps i had it wrong. I mean. My setup for ovpn is in openvpn on my asus router with merlin. And there i also created a dns to reach my computer from outside my home. I cant get jellyfin to work but yesterday i noticed i can sucessfully go to web gui for the router outside my home trough my dns-adress with port 8443. 
How did you find this out if you haven't got the OpenVPN client on your phone?
Accessing your router's web interface does not necessarily mean the VPN is working. It could also be configured to allow access from the outside.

(2024-07-05, 11:35 AM)hedztrem Wrote: So no, i dont have openvpn client in phone. The asus router takes all my devices through its own openvpn. But when you asked me to test internal ip from phone i downloaded ovpn app and tested it on my phone
So what's your plan to access your private VPN from the outside, and what is it that doesn't work?

I had wrong about routers gui. I can access it thrue wifi with the the dns adress instead of internal ip. Not outside home.

And i know a device is thrue the vpn client on the router. Because all connection is set for that. And If I go to whatsmyip.com i see the ip is thrue ovpns and not my regular wan ip

My plan is to have working vpn on all devices and when im traveling / is outside i can access jellyfin due my asuscomm.com ddns adress. However this is not working.

As an alternative i have tested vpn-director and choosed my mac mini outside the setup. Then jellyfin works great but then i dont have the vpn for that computer

RE: Behind vpn and dns. No connection - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-05

So if you are outside the home, connected to your VPN, the DDNS address does not work, correct? Do you have NAT loopback enabled in the router?

(2024-07-05, 04:08 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: So if you are outside the home, connected to your VPN, the DDNS address does not work, correct?  Do you have NAT loopback enabled in the router?

Hmm i hear my knowledge isnt enough. How do you mean connected to my vpn when im outside the house. I bought 1 month from ovpn.com. So the only thing i tried is there app for iphone. But that has nothing to do with my home. 
Have i missed something i must set up to get the connection to my computer at home? I thought the dns adress with port forward was enough.

My ddns work from outside home. If I disable openvpn in the router. But that's not what i want. 

NAT loopback seems activeted by default (after a Quick googling)

What are you buying from ovpn.com? You should not need to buy anything. Your router is hosting an OpenVPN server and the OpenVPN client is free from Google's and Apple's app store. In your router there should be prompts to download the OpenVPN config for your server that you use on your phone.

(2024-07-05, 05:50 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What are you buying from ovpn.com?  You should not need to buy anything.  Your router is hosting an OpenVPN server and the OpenVPN client is free from Google's and Apple's app store.  In your router there should be prompts to download the OpenVPN config for your server that you use on your phone.

I'm buying the options to hide my wan ip. More privacy. And also my isp tries to block some streaming services. Thats working better thrue a vpn like ovpn, nordvpn. 

But if i understand you correct i can set up this for free? In my router and then maby my ddns with jellyfin can work?
However its important not to have install on every Phone,computer etc. Because i have a formuler z7 that is need of this

Do you have a bunch of users that aren't in your family? If not, I'm not sure what the benefit is of having a 3rd party VPN service. You only need to be concerned about hiding your WAN IP if you have people you don't trust connecting to your Jellyfin.

But if you just need a VPN to avoid directly exposing Jellyfin, you can use the built in Open VPN server your router already has. In the UI you would provide your DDNS hostname (since that is embedded in the config) and then you can export the client config to use with your devices that will be accessing Jellyfin remotely.

(2024-07-05, 09:44 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Do you have a bunch of users that aren't in your family?  If not, I'm not sure what the benefit is of having a 3rd party VPN service.  You only need to be concerned about hiding your WAN IP if you have people you don't trust connecting to your Jellyfin.

But if you just need a VPN to avoid directly exposing Jellyfin, you can use the built in Open VPN server your router already has.  In the UI you would provide your DDNS hostname (since that is embedded in the config) and then you can export the client config to use with your devices that will be accessing Jellyfin remotely.

Its just me and my childrens that wants to see from jellyfin. 

But what about the problem with my isp and slowing/ buffering streaming. That can only be fixed thrue a third party vpn? Because then it uses different dns servers? Im i Wright? I tried Googles dns instead of isp and it didn't work

RE: Behind vpn and dns. No connection - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-05

(2024-07-05, 05:34 PM)hedztrem Wrote: Have i missed something i must set up to get the connection to my computer at home? I thought the dns adress with port forward was enough.
If you got a private VPN you do not need any ports forwarded unless you have something else between your router or VPN server and the internet, in which case you need to forward the VPN's port(s), not Jellyfin's. That's the whole point of a VPN.

RE: Behind vpn and dns. No connection - hedztrem - 2024-07-06

(2024-07-05, 10:10 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote:
(2024-07-05, 05:34 PM)hedztrem Wrote: Have i missed something i must set up to get the connection to my computer at home? I thought the dns adress with port forward was enough.
If you got a private VPN you do not need any ports forwarded unless you have something else between your router or VPN server and the internet, in which case you need to forward the VPN's port(s), not Jellyfin's. That's the whole point of a VPN.

Hm Okey. But if i choose a private vpn i cant go through a vpn tunnel thats necassary to skip my ISP settings so i would have these freezing and buffering in streaming. Am i correct?

I finally got my ddns to work with vpn enabled. I can reach my routers gui outside now. I added a certificate in ddns settings. However jellyfin is still a dead-end. Perhaps if i got a https certifierate for it also? But that's to advanced for me. Because port 8096 and http still doesn't work outside home