Jellyfin Forum
Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing (/t-problem-with-cpu-at-100-and-ram-does-not-stop-increasing--7572)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - franciscok - 2024-08-21

So is it a server problem?
According to what I was told, with this server I could have up to a thousand users and I currently have 450 and the maximum I have seen online simultaneously is 90 users, but when the CPU has failed it has not been with 90 users simultaneously, it has failed when there were only 25 simultaneous users.

And do you recommend changing servers?
If the answer is yes, which one would you recommend to have 500 users and which one to have 1000 users?

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - Venson - 2024-08-21

450 users of which 90 are online?

Jellyfin is a *home* media server, no commerical product thats designed for more then a couple of users. While in theory yes you can put a lot more then tens of users on jellyfin but you need exponentially more powerful hardware for that.

Also while we are on that topic, i recomend you to read this section of our community rules:
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/community-standards/commercial-support

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - franciscok - 2024-08-21

What specifications should I look at? or can you advise any?

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-21

With that many users, the only thing you need to do is ensure your media will NEVER transcode or remux. There are no server specs that could reliably serve that many users if any amount of transcoding happens.

H264 main video
AAC stereo audio
SRT or burned in subtitles
MP4 container

I have the option to Activate video conversion disabled for each user
Do I have to modify something else?

Also, since he said that the cores were very old, that's why I asked if they advised changing the server.

On the other hand, would it be better if I changed to a server with 36 cpu 128 ram and 1gbps for 150 users?

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - mcarlton00 - 2024-08-21

You're not going to find a lot of help for this.  This is hilariously outside the expected size of the average Jellyfin instance, and nobody has tried to push it that far.  You're in very uncharted territory and more or less on your own about finding a way forward.  Frankly, I don't think it's going to be possible.  Jellyfin just isn't designed for that sort of scale and imo you're always going to run into bottleneck issues somewhere along the way.

As I understand it, everything depends on the server if it supports it or not, I know that the server with other services supports more than what I currently have but it is true that I was sure that it did not transcode, it only did it with the audio if necessary
In this case, I don't know if I have the configuration right or not, but I also find it strange that the CPU goes to 100% on some occasions when only 20 users are active.

RE: Problem with CPU at 100% and RAM does not stop increasing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-21

What the client supports is what determines whether a video is transcoded or not. The video parameters in my last post are the most compatible codecs and containers you can use for modern devices.

Your current configuration could support more users if there wasn't so much transcoding and remuxing going on.

and is there any way to remove the transcoding? I have set what I mentioned above to each user, but it seems that it does not eliminate it completely

If you turn off transcoding and a user's device can't play the video it will fail. Transcoding happens because it needs to happen.

You have to re-encode with the codecs and containers I stated above.