Jellyfin Forum
The Introductions thread - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: The Introductions thread (/t-the-introductions-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The Introductions thread - CleverId10t - 2023-06-20

Hello,

Thanks for setting up a forum, while I can usually muddle my way through what I need, having something to replace r/jellyfin feels good.

I run jellyfin in an Ubuntu VM on Hyper-V with a P2000 passed through to it via DDA, works quite well (-:

Cheers

RE: The Introductions thread - chrsa - 2023-06-20

Howdy,

Name is Chris. Thank you for setting up this forum. More importantly, thank you so much to all contributors to Jellyfin! I'd also like thank all that post with helpful advice.
I'm currently running the nightly release in Docker on Unraid to utilize VAAPI on a Ryzen 5700g. I mostly direct play but transcoding works great when needed!

RE: The Introductions thread - debug - 2023-06-21

Hi Everyone,

Debug here. I love this new forum setup, but I'm also partial to that 2000s era.

Excited to be here. I run a JF via docker in Ubuntu server that is behind a reverse proxy handling requests from Cloudfare.

I hope to contribute to codebase this year sometime.

RE: The Introductions thread - nothingveryobvious - 2023-06-22

Hello,

nothingveryobvious here.

Been using Jellyfin for a few years, first on a remote VPS then finally settled on using it on an M1 Mac Mini, with Docker and the *arr stack.

Used Plex before but didn't like the paywalls and how it was crowded with media I didn't own. Next used Emby which worked well but then I discovered Jellyfin and learned that it was FOSS. I also enjoyed the community on r/jellyfin so I decided to switch to Jellyfin. Haven't looked back.

The only real problem I'm experiencing is running out of space for all the media that I want to enjoy through Jellyfin.

Happy to be here on the new forum. Thank you to everyone who contributes to Jellyfin, all its clients, and this forum.

RE: The Introductions thread - daph - 2023-06-22

Hello,

I've been using Jellyfin for some years now after switching from plex and it's been working pretty good. I have it running on an old gigabyte brix and the storage is a shiny truenas setup with a pretty good amount of space.

One of these days I need to upgrade the box it runs on so I can transcode better, but 99% of my usage is at home with devices that natively support the formats I store so it hasn't been a priority.

RE: The Introductions thread - TheDreadPirate - 2023-06-23

Arrrr matey, I'm TheDreadPirate.

I've been using Jellyfin for about 6 months now after having tried Plex for about 3 months.  I am running Jellyfin in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS natively, bare metal, behind an Apache reverse proxy to handle all external https requests.  DDNS provided by No-IP and certs curtesy of LetsEncrypt.  It runs on an Asrock Intel J4205-ITX, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, with 9TB of an available 12TB (6 + 3 + 3) of storage dedicated to Jellyfin.  The rest is reserved for my Windows desktop's SMB shares.

Before going into this I was concerned that my puny Intel Atom couldn't handle self-hosting media, in general.  Particularly when transcoding was involved.  And I was considering upgrading because any time the stream was transcoded it buffered a lot when I was running Plex on Windows.  And it transcoded for nearly 100% of the time when accessing my video media when I was not home.  Same with Jellyfin on Windows. But it turns out the problem was Windows Defender anti-virus hogging CPU time any time a file was read from disk.  Jellyfin on Ubuntu transcodes lickity quick with this Intel Atom.  About 6.5x real time for 1080p30 HEVC files to H264.

I switched to Jellyfin from Plex because A) I didn't want to pay the subscription or even the single lifetime fee, B) I, and I think a lot of other Plex users, felt unheard by the developers, C) because even though I hosted my media, Plex's servers were still involved as a proxy and I wanted my setup to be completely independent, and D) it was cluttered with suggestions for "free channels" or whatever.  As well as my growing support of FOSS/FLOSS software, in general.

As for my reasons for self-hosting, it's probably the same as a lot of people here.  I'm tired of paying for an ever increasing number streaming subscriptions.  I'm tired of shows coming and going or permanently moving to new streaming services (Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager going to Paramount+ was the last straw and catalyst for this journey).  I'm tired of not OWNING anything I watch or listen to.

RE: The Introductions thread - ryannathans - 2023-06-23

Hey guys

I run a 72TB ZFS zpool (4x Seagate Exos X18 18TB drives in zraid1) with a 10gb/s NIC on freebsd/truenas core as a home share. It currently runs on Emby (blasphemy) and I intend to migrate to Jellyfin when I work out what the right way to set it up is. It would be cool if it was available as a truenas core plugin (like how I am running Emby). I am thinking the portable build is probably the way to go, not sure how much effort it will be to maintain.

RE: The Introductions thread - Yankees4life - 2023-06-23

Name is Jean. Switched to JF from Kodi actually because using NFS was a sluggish experience at times so using this media player is way better. Now with more developers coming in and making the experience better (eg. intro skipper, chapter skipper, media cleaner, Jellyfin auto collections) I think I made the right choice. 🤣😂

RE: The Introductions thread - Mount_Linux - 2023-06-23

Hello, I am Mount_Linux Smiling-face

Started my media journey with xbmc or openelec for the first raspberry pi if I remember right. Transitioned to xbmc on Windows with a satellite tuner card, with the obligatory madVR and media player classic. Fast forward through plex, kodi, emby and now the awesome jellyfin.

Thanks for all the jellyfin team efforts Smiling-face

Mount_Linux

RE: The Introductions thread - Egilman - 2023-07-01

Hello,

Egilman here from the Great Pacific Northwest....

Pardon me but I taking my first steps into media serving... I've already determined that Plex is not for me...

Everyone I've chatted with are telling me that Jellyfin or Kodi is the go to for what I want to do...

My hardware is old, a dual xeon 48 core machine that I used to do DC with it currently runs windows 11 pro... right now it has 8 gig of memory running off a 2T harddrive... the motherboard is a supermicro X-10DRI. I have three HD bays one containing a 10T HD for TV shows and 2x 4T drives for movies and documentaries the bays are hot swappable...

Currently my TV is a Samsung UN43TU7000BXZA which claims it is DLNA capable and the manual says that the TV will automatically read and connect to a DLNA server, all I had to do was plug into the lan port and the TV will take care of the rest... {chuckle} that is not the case I have learned...

I tried Jellyfin on the proposed server, it installed fine but given my lack of knowledge about what I was supposed to do I couldn't get it to populate the libraries... So I uninstalled it and installed Kodi which I have gotten to the point of it working over my network and am able to access it on my desktop...

Everything is hardwired through a network switch... I have Xfinity for TV and Internet...

Personally I do not care if the server is Kodi or Jellyfin...

I want to have my video collection hosted on a standalone server accessible by my TV... (the reason for this is the wife has gotten tired of the way TV broadcasts show episodes she hates watching the same four or five epis several times a day, day after day) and also like to catch movies on sundays...

I've been working on this project now for a week prepping all the vids, getting them organized, and figuring out how to populate the server with the meta data scraped from the internet....

The software doesn't matter like I said, I just want to get it to work like it seems everyone else has...

A standalone video server feeding a single TV over a Cat 8 cable controlled by the TV remote...

Is it even possible?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and I'm open to any suggestions on how to get it to work...

I'm not a computer newbie, I've built my own machines including the ones I'm running on now... But that being said, I barely know how to use a cellphone in fact I don't even own one... The only networking I know is how to wire up my own computers to the modem through a switch...

Any and all help, please total newbie to video streaming here...

EG