Jellyfin Forum
Excessive RAM consumption - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Excessive RAM consumption (/t-excessive-ram-consumption)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-14

(2024-05-12, 06:13 AM)SyrupSplashin Wrote:
(2024-02-28, 05:03 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Most of the memory jellyfin uses is cache.  Memory used for caching and reserved memory for applications and application data behave significantly differently.  If another app needs more memory, the cached memory will be immediately released to the other application.  Most  dashboards, like the screenshot you provided, do not distinguish between reserved memory and cache.

I'm running into this same situation where Jellyfin holds onto cache indefinitely; bare metal this is of little concern but I'm running it in proxmox and want that memory freed up for other VMs.

Assuming it's expected for jellyfin to hold data in cache/buffer indefinitely, how can I change this behavior? If it's not expected, what could be the issue? I'm running Jellyfin v10.8.13.0 pulled from Ubuntu's repos (i.e. not a docker image). Github says the env variables to help with memory consumption should be within this version so I don't know what I can really do here.

You could just give the VM less memory.  It just won't cache as much.  Caching does not prevent Jellyfin proper from using the memory it needs to use since cache is immediately released when other apps needs to reserve memory.

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - VladtheImpaler - 2024-05-23

I think I also have this caching problem, Jellyfin will eventually use all available memory and Windows will crash.  Restarting Jellyfin doesn't free the memory so I have to reboot the machine twice a week.  I had hoped the latest updates would fix it, but it's still there... I watched 4 episodes of Star Trek TNG last night and memory usage jumped by 20% on a PC with 16gb.  That seems like a nasty leak to me.

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - EVOTk - 2024-05-23

Since I upgraded from 10.8 to 10.9, I've also had a lot of RAM consumption problems. Jellyfin quickly ends up consuming all the RAM available on the server (32GB total) and becomes unstable.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/11551#issuecomment-2126312981

On a "clean" installation of 10.9, I have the same problem. Before, on version 10.8, my container was limited to 4GB of RAM, and I had no problems.

Now, my container uses over 16GB of RAM!

I'm use official image docker on OMV7 ( Debian 12 )

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - Fate - 2024-05-23

If that is the issue, disabling trickplay in the libary settings then restart should fix that.
Maybe test that?

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - EVOTk - 2024-05-23

Hello, trickplay is not enable on my libraries .

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - VladtheImpaler - 2024-05-26

I also don't have trickplay enabled

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - VladtheImpaler - 2024-06-06

The crashing might be fixed, I disabled scheduled reboot and tested 10.9.3 for 1 week.  Memory usage climbed to 94% of 16g but it seems to be holding steady. When I use another program it's freeing the cache as expected.

It seems odd to be caching content I watched days or weeks ago.  A setting to adjust the cache limit would be nice, keeping the memory fully loaded 24/7 makes memory stability a top priority.

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - VladtheImpaler - 2024-06-08

Never mind.. It crashed last night

Event 2004, Resource-Exhaustion-Detector
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - zeeeeeee - 2024-06-09

I'm also having this same exact issue. I'm currently running 10.9.6 in a docker container inside a debian VM on proxmox. If I do a library scan, or sometimes just intensive scrolling and navigating, Jellyfin will cause the whole debian container (running on proxmox) to become unresponsive. On a number of occasions I've seen the server console show an out of memory error from Jellyfin. At present, I have to reboot the instance several times a day.

RE: Excessive RAM consumption - Mel_Gibson_Real - 2024-06-09

Is it possible its a plugin thats common between everyone having this issue?