Jellyfin Forum
Subtitles out of sync on Roku client - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Subtitles out of sync on Roku client (/t-subtitles-out-of-sync-on-roku-client)

Subtitles out of sync on Roku client - khf620 - 2023-09-16

I have a Roku Express 4K+ and it seems like no matter what I do, the subtitles always seem to be out of sync, especially when continuing media or seeking ahead/back. I've verified that the actual subtitles themselves are correct and in sync.

RE: Subtitles out of sync on Roku client - bitmap - 2023-09-16

Could you provide more information about your server hardware, OS, install type, Jellyfin version, and any virtualization? Definitely need more information on the media file as well, such as codec, subtitle format, and whether the file is being direct played or transcoded.

As a workaround, you might try to use the option to have Jellyfin a) extract your subtitles on the fly or b) burn in all of your subtitles. The problem with A is that it takes some time at the start of playback for this to happen. The weaker your hardware, the longer this takes; if your subs are more complex this process takes longer as well. The problem with option B is that, while it's a surefire solution and will work 100% of the time, it also causes full transcoding of your media 100% of the time. In my experience, Roku has struggled with subs more than the other platforms I've used, but I've had pretty good luck with external SRT files and burning in more complex subs.

RE: Subtitles out of sync on Roku client - khf620 - 2023-09-21

(2023-09-16, 04:13 PM)bitmap Wrote: Could you provide more information about your server hardware, OS, install type, Jellyfin version, and any virtualization? Definitely need more information on the media file as well, such as codec, subtitle format, and whether the file is being direct played or transcoded.

As a workaround, you might try to use the option to have Jellyfin a) extract your subtitles on the fly or b) burn in all of your subtitles. The problem with A is that it takes some time at the start of playback for this to happen. The weaker your hardware, the longer this takes; if your subs are more complex this process takes longer as well. The problem with option B is that, while it's a surefire solution and will work 100% of the time, it also causes full transcoding of your media 100% of the time. In my experience, Roku has struggled with subs more than the other platforms I've used, but I've had pretty good luck with external SRT files and burning in more complex subs.

Jellyfin version: 10.8.10
Server hardware: Intel i7-8550U, AMD ATI Radeon R7 M260
The server OS is ubuntu 22.04, and Jellyfin is installed directly from repo. I'm currently using quicksync for hardware acceleration.

Now this seems to happen on almost all media with SRT / text subtitles. I've even noticed this issue on other clients such as AndroidTV and iOS (although using Swiftfin fixes it). This issue only happens when the media is transcoding. On roku, this is almost all the time because my device lacks good audio support.

I've tried installing Jellyfin on a completely separate PC just to test, and the issue still re-occurs there, so surely it's not a server issue?

I'm not sure how to burn in subtitles with Roku? I've managed to do it on the iOS client but it became insanely slow for media to start playing.