Jellyfin Forum
NGINX and Jellyfin - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: NGINX and Jellyfin (/t-nginx-and-jellyfin)

NGINX and Jellyfin - drzaltar - 2023-09-24

Hello there,

TL;DR: I can't get NGINX Proxy Manager to work with Jellyfin.

As it's a different problem, I'm opening another topic, hoping it's not against the forum rules.

As it still didn't work, I gave up on RP asustor, and finally installed NGINX proxy manager on my NAS via Portainer, since many people here use it. The installation went well, and I was able to obtain an SSL certificate with Let's Encrypt and duck dns for the domain name. I thought I'd finally solved my secure remote access problem for Jellyfin, but... No.

Once the proxy had been created, I couldn't access it: connection failed.

I really don't know what to do, I've already spent all night trying to figure out how to install NGINX, only for it not to work... I really like Jellyfin, but it's a pain to configure for remote access. But there's no way I'm going back to Plex, even though everything was so much simpler.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

RE: NGINX and Jellyfin - bitmap - 2023-09-26

I knew there was a topic I missed a reply on. My apologies, it was yours. I hunted through my post history and couldn't find it. I haven't used NPM but it should be relatively similar to using nginx and all, right?

Is there a specific image you were using for NPM? Can you post what the config looks like from Portainer, redacting any details you don't need to share? I'll try to take a look at NPM tonight before I go to bed or tomorrow if I hear back between now and then.

RE: NGINX and Jellyfin - drzaltar - 2023-09-27

No problem pal,

I finally got the NAS's built-in reverse proxy to work, and it works like a charm. I'm leaving NPM aside for the moment, but I'll come back to it later. I'm not putting the post in solved mode, because NPM still doesn't work and eventually I'd like to use it, but I'm giving myself a little break, having already spent far too many sleepless nights trying to secure my server.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll come back to this thread in a while. Or maybe you'd prefer me to send you a PM, it's up to you. In any case, thank you very much.

RE: NGINX and Jellyfin - bitmap - 2023-09-27

Good to hear @drzaltar! Care to share here or in the other thread how you got the RP working for the built-in version? It's a pretty specific use case, but might be worth writing up a quick guide for anybody else wandering through with an Asustor NAS since they're not officially supported and the documentation is pretty sparse as we found out.

RE: NGINX and Jellyfin - drzaltar - 2023-09-27

Of course!
I changed the port I had initially chosen for the RP, and removed the custom address I had configured in Jellyfin (the /jellyfin at the end of the address). And in Jellyfin, I also changed back to the default port. At first it worked, but browsing and video viewing were extremely slow. Then, by chance, I restarted my NAS, and everything worked perfectly 🤷

RE: NGINX and Jellyfin - bitmap - 2023-09-27

Oh boy...I didn't catch that to begin with. Any networking changes will generally require a restart of Jellyfin (at least). No idea on the NAS front, that would be specific to their software. Looking at the networking section of Jellyfin's admin dashboard I wonder now if the issue may have been not putting the custom address in the base URL area?

With RP, and it's different with a lot of them, but most are set up for either subdomain or subfolder (e.g., jellyfin.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/jellfyin). The base URL section is required if you use subfolder setup (the latter). If you didn't have "/jellyfin" in that area, it makes sense that it wouldn't load properly. Not saying this is 100% the fix, but if you BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS and want to try again, this might be your solution.

The custom port would have needed to be set in the Docker image (i.e., in Portainer you would set that 8096 in the container is equal to something else outside of the container). This is a common practice to avoid script kiddies looking for common services to attack, but it's not a big deal if you secure Jellyfin with strong passwords for user accounts. If you didn't set a custom port on the container, you can't use a custom port within Jellyfin or on the RP -- it'll just break. You'd also use the HTTP port since the RP is taking care of HTTPS (Jellyfin isn't accessing your SSL cert directly and handling HTTPS).

I know jack shit about all of this and have been inferring it from research, experience, and osmosis from experts. So take my explanation with a block of salt until somebody else (who knows what they're talking about) says I'm right or corrects me...