Jellyfin Forum
Group Media by Ratings - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Group Media by Ratings (/t-group-media-by-ratings)

Group Media by Ratings - MiketheMovieGuy - 2023-09-29

Howdy y'all! 

Is it possible to group movies and TV shows by their ratings (i.e., TV-G or PG)?

I'm planning on building a local version of Jellyfin (by local, I mean a version that's only accessible to my family at home); I was hoping that, instead of appearing in alphabetical order, Jellyfin could open up with the movies and TV shows organized by the ratings system used in the States.

My biggest worry is that, since I own copies of media that's for various ages, the movies and TV shows that are appropriate for younger audiences will be mixed in with something more for adults (R-rated Horror films, PG-13 action flicks, etc.)

If this question is unclear, please let me know and I will rephrase it the best I can.

Also, if this is not the right forum to post in, please feel free to move this to the proper one.

Thanks, and cheers!

RE: Group Media by Ratings - bitmap - 2023-09-29

There are a number of ways to accomplish this end goal. 

1. Parental Controls. These are set per account. Each user would need their own account or at least each household with children would need restricted, relaxed, and unrestricted user accounts (or however you choose to organize it). Dashboard > Users > user name > Parental Controls
  2. Libraries. Set up libraries to restrict content. Right now I have Kids TV and Kids Movies libraries. Family might be a better naming convention but even that doesn't really fit. It's content that's kid-friendly or specifically-requested that nobody else wants. It lives there and folks still have access to those libraries but can skip over all of it if they choose. You can set access by user account. 
  3. Again, libraries, but using symlinks. This is a bit more future-proof than my solution since you can grow a specific user's library with symlinks at any time based on whatever content you approve of at that point in time. With just libraries it's a hodge-podge of libraries plus parental controls.

Also be aware that some issues exist with image-based backgrounds and screensavers as well as searching (that haven't been fixed as far as I've seen since 10.8.Nerd-face. Content for backgrounds and screensavers is farmed from the metadata images of content and doesn't discriminate based on rating restrictions. So little Timmy might see a Friday the 13th poster screensaver image. Not explicit, but probably a little scary depending on age. Searching, on the other hand, can allow users to at least find restricted content, which could be problematic. Particularly if "R" is not your ceiling for film ratings.

RE: Group Media by Ratings - MiketheMovieGuy - 2023-09-29

(2023-09-29, 03:05 PM)bitmap Wrote: There are a number of ways to accomplish this end goal. 

1. Parental Controls. These are set per account. Each user would need their own account or at least each household with children would need restricted, relaxed, and unrestricted user accounts (or however you choose to organize it). Dashboard > Users > user name > Parental Controls
  2. Libraries. Set up libraries to restrict content. Right now I have Kids TV and Kids Movies libraries. Family might be a better naming convention but even that doesn't really fit. It's content that's kid-friendly or specifically-requested that nobody else wants. It lives there and folks still have access to those libraries but can skip over all of it if they choose. You can set access by user account. 
  3. Again, libraries, but using symlinks. This is a bit more future-proof than my solution since you can grow a specific user's library with symlinks at any time based on whatever content you approve of at that point in time. With just libraries it's a hodge-podge of libraries plus parental controls.

Also be aware that some issues exist with image-based backgrounds and screensavers as well as searching (that haven't been fixed as far as I've seen since 10.8.Nerd-face. Content for backgrounds and screensavers is farmed from the metadata images of content and doesn't discriminate based on rating restrictions. So little Timmy might see a Friday the 13th poster screensaver image. Not explicit, but probably a little scary depending on age. Searching, on the other hand, can allow users to at least find restricted content, which could be problematic. Particularly if "R" is not your ceiling for film ratings.

Hmmm...torn between number 1 & number 2 (number three sounds a little complicated for someone at my skill level.) To be honest, I didn't think about setting up multiple accounts; the Parental Restrictions would definitely be helpful (especially if I can specify which content I want restricted or not and at what age level.)

Oh, and I forgot about the screensavers and searching! Thankfully, R rated content is about as far as I go for my library. But I am worried about what will happen if a kid accidentally selects Friday the 13th (is there a pop up warning? Is there a code that's needed to access it?)

RE: Group Media by Ratings - bitmap - 2023-09-29

I don't know as though they can access it. This is also a client-specific bug. I know Roku displays the bug, but I'm not sure about all of the other clients. Let me see if I can find the bug. I'll have to see if I can even remember my reddit account details, as I posted a thread there way back and it has GitHub issues linked. That would have a more accurate status than my guessing or searching.