Jellyfin Forum
Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? (/t-sharing-multiple-pcs-for-one-server)

Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - ZeroCool - 2023-06-23

Hi all, so I'm looking at setting up my JF server. I have things running okay, I'm working on exposing it to the Internet, (I'm using DuckDNS and NGINX). But once I start needing a few transcodes going at the same time, I'm going to want more horsepower than my little laptop I'm running it on, even with hardware transcoding.

So I'm wondering what experience people have with aggregating a few PCs into a single server?

I've got a few laptops that mostly sit around doing nothing, so I'm wondering if using Proxmox and allocating the resources of a few of the PCs will work well. Some of them are different generations of Intel CPUs, but I do have two 8th gen laptops, so I could use just those if it'll be eaiser?

RE: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - Venson - 2023-06-23

Hey @ZeroCool,

Well short answer: No
Long answer: (probably) Yes

Generally its not advised to do but you could setup your jellyfin to use the rffmpeg project.
Be careful though, its a very delicate setup and you will not get much help with it.

RE: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-06-23

How many users do you plan on serving? For reference, my Jellyfin server running an Intel J4205 (Skylake based GPU/QSV) can transcode three 1080p streams with a enough grunt for maybe one or two more. If this makes a difference, Jellyfin runs waaaay better on Linux than Windows. On Windows this machine struggled to transcode one stream, but switching to Linux really allowed this hardware to shine. So if you are on Windows, consider trying running Jellyfin on Linux.

RE: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - Venson - 2023-06-23

Moved from Jellyfin Forum -> Development -> Server Development -> Sharing multiple PCs for one Server?

RE: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - joshuaboniface - 2023-06-23

You have things exactly backwards. Aggregating multiple physical computers together into one virtual computer is not supported by 99.995% of solutions. ProxMox et al won't do this, nor will any solution except Beowulf or large scale HPC solutions. And then, the software has to support this model which Jellyfin (and most things) doesn't.

The other direction, diving one (relatively large) physical computer into multiple smaller virtual computers is common and recommended.

Throw out the old laptops and get a nice NUC or something like that to run Jellyfin and your other services on.

RE: Sharing multiple PCs for one Server? - gaming09 - 2023-06-23

(2023-06-23, 11:29 AM)Venson Wrote: Hey @ZeroCool,

Well short answer: No
Long answer: (probably) Yes

Generally its not advised to do but you could setup your jellyfin to use the rffmpeg project.
Be careful though, its a very delicate setup and you will not get much help with it.

agreed rffmpeg would be your only option to offset the transcoding to a seperate machine.