Jellyfin Forum
Purpose of tags? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Purpose of tags? (/t-purpose-of-tags)

Purpose of tags? - Six66Mike - 2023-10-01

Just wondering what the purpose of Tags are in the Metadata Information is?  There doesn't seem to be a way to browse them like genres and when I search for something like "Christmas", it only returns a title search and not any content with the Christmas tag associated with it like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

How can you make use of these tags to find or view content?

RE: Purpose of tags? - paulc - 2023-10-01

If you go under a movie/tv library folder, you can filter by tags and browse. 
First image, filtering of movies.

Second image, filtering of TV shows.

RE: Purpose of tags? - thornbill - 2023-10-02

There are some changes to make them more useful… 10.9.0 will feature support for searching for tags and at some point I want to make tags function more like genres so they appear as links that would take you to a listing of all content with that tag.

RE: Purpose of tags? - Six66Mike - 2023-10-02

(2023-10-01, 02:12 PM)paulc Wrote: If you go under a movie/tv library folder, you can filter by tags and browse.

There we go Upside-down-face 

So far I've used filters to hide watched stuff, will go take a better look at the other options.  Thanks.

(2023-10-02, 04:00 AM)thornbill Wrote: There are some changes to make them more useful… 10.9.0 will feature support for searching for tags and at some point I want to make tags function more like genres so they appear as links that would take you to a listing of all content with that tag.

Love the search idea, 2nd part would be great if it was a wall of movies.  The amount of left-right navigation in the app is horrible, especially for vast amounts of content like genres and tags.

RE: Purpose of tags? - Six66Mike - 2023-10-03

(2023-10-01, 02:12 PM)paulc Wrote: If you go under a movie/tv library folder, you can filter by tags and browse. 

Just to confirm, this is only applicable while on the server, not the client?  I checked on my client last night and there's no option to do this, only via browser on the server.

Really looking for the client use case.

RE: Purpose of tags? - bitmap - 2023-10-04

The webOS client can view and filter by tags as well. I would assume that some of the other clients would look for parity if this were a sought after feature. Tags are extremely useful in some cases, I use them in a number of ways for management and notification for my users as well as have started looking at automation, genre, thematic, trigger warning, and other tagging that could be used client-side.

It all depends on what clients your users utilize.

RE: Purpose of tags? - Six66Mike - 2023-10-11

I was using the Zidoo client, this week moved to the Android TV client but still no way to use tags, which is a bit of a bummer. One of those things that look great in the Web client and you miss when using your player client.