Jellyfin Forum
No more "Videos" category - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: No more "Videos" category (/t-no-more-videos-category)

No more "Videos" category - SenileOtaku - 2023-10-09

The last time I installed Jellyfin, there were three categories for videos; "Movies", "Shows", and "Videos".  I just did a reinstall of Jellyfin (re-built the system) with jellyfin-10.8.11-2.fc38.x86_64 (Fedora 3Nerd-face, and the regular category of Videos is gone, with a "Music Videos" category now added.

So what am I supposed to do with home movies, training videos, etc?  They are none of the categories you've provided.

RE: No more "Videos" category - bitmap - 2023-10-11

I would refer you to the documentation to read about what fits your needs. You've read the names of the library types and made assumptions about what they should hold rather than reading the documentation and learning what each library type actually means for organization. In brief, Shows and Movies are the two types you should focus on. Shows libraries allow/require you to organize into "Show" and "Season". Movies libraries are essentially one-entry-per-file libraries, where every media file is its own item within the library without further organization.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/shows

Shows probably the better way to go if you have a lot of content, movies probably better if you want a huge thumbnail wall of images as your "organization" method. To each their own.

RE: No more "Videos" category - SenileOtaku - 2023-10-12

Really??? It worked perfectly fine *before*, and now instead of an answer I'm getting a "you're thinking wrong" response. A kind of "you're holding it wrong" moment. An explanation of a technical issue why it was changed could at least be reasonable; I may not like that either, but an actual technical reason would make sense. Not a "you shouldn't behave that way".

This is more like something I would hear from Apple, Google, Microsoft, or even the GNOME Project.

RE: No more "Videos" category - bitmap - 2023-10-12

K. I didn't say you're holding it wrong. I said you didn't read what any of the library types do. Then I briefly explained, provided a recommendation, and linked to the documentation. You didn't ask for a technical explanation of why it changed, you asked what to do without reading about the updated library types. I'm not being snarky, mean, or an asshole. Those are factual statements.

The library types have been this way for many releases now. While it may have worked before, software evolves and you have to adapt. Not looking for a fight, just wanted to help. Good luck with your project.

RE: No more "Videos" category - Dex Luther - 2023-10-13

You're worrying because names were changed/simplified, but still effectively do the same thing they've always done.

If you're looking for something to hold your tomatoes, does it really matter if you're handed a plate with "Salad Plate" printed across it and a bowl with "Oranges" etched into the side?

Why have separate "Movies" and "Videos" library types when they effectively behave the same way? It's redundant. It also means messier menus with multiple options that do the same thing, which also means extra unneeded lines of code. Redundant lines of code like that serve no real purpose other than more things to change when working on updates or be forgotten and cause issues.

The vast majority of users will just use TV shows and/or Movies anyway to suit their needs because what each type does is more important than what the type is called.

If you're training videos are organized in a Subject/Part/Session manner, then TV Show library is probably best, but the issue is the removal of the "Videos" library type so I assume it's not the case therefore "Movies" library type is best since it behaves just like the "Videos" type did anyway.