Jellyfin Forum
Weird audio codec display - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Weird audio codec display (/t-weird-audio-codec-display)

Weird audio codec display - kalemvar - 2023-10-11

Hello

Question regarding the audio/subtitle codec display on Jellyfin. I know it's all about the audio names we give to the audio (when muxing with MKVtoolNix) but I would like to know if it's possible to change how Jellyfin display the codec name, here are few example on what is working and not

Audio title                                   What Jellyfin Display                            Finale

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio                  English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio         Exactly what I want
English 2.0 AAC                                          English 2.0 AAC                           Exactly what I want

English 2.0 EAC3                                         English 2.0 EAC3 - Dolby Digital+         EAC3 not match Dolby Digital+
English 2.0 E-AC3                                        English 2.0 E-AC3 - Dolby Digital+        E-AC3 not match Dolby Digital+
English 2.0 E-AC-3                                       English 2.0 E-AC-3 - Dolby Digital+       E-AC-3 not match Dolby Digital+

Result 

DTS-HD Master Audio   =   Match
AAC                    =   Match
EAC3/E-AC3/E-AC-3      =   NO Match

I would love to know what exactly match for Dolby Digital+ ? is it possible to edit that somewhere ? Clearly Dolby Digital+ is a long name and would to cut it short like it's possible for AAC by using EAC3/E-AC3/E-AC-3.

Thanks for you help

kalemvar

RE: Weird audio codec display - bitmap - 2023-10-11

If you can figure out where this and the sub info is being scraped from, I'll pay for your Jellyfin subscription. Been driving me a little mad as well. I screwed up a couple batch encodes and despite the actual info not existing in the file via ffprobe or mediainfo as far as I can tell, Jellyfin has the correct info for the audio track, just with my wrong metadata before it:

Opus 5.1 Surround - English - German

I copied a template I've been using for stripping non-English streams and used it for a German-only show. Corrected everything except the metadata info. Somehow Jellyfin knows it's German despite me removing that information.

I'm more familiar with ffmpeg than Mkvtoolnix, but there's some crossover. The ffmpeg "tag" flag forces a video or audio stream tag, what ffmpeg calls a "fourcc" in their documentation which isn't really explained anywhere that I could see. That's rampant in the ffmpeg docs. From context, I'm guessing fourcc is Four Character Codec designation: opus, hevc, etc... Finding the list should be as easy as ffmpeg -codecs. I'm guessing putting the correct fourcc in for each track would get you closer to what you want. Might be the same with Mkvtoolnix -- figuring out exactly what field needs to contain the info and how to format it.