Jellyfin Forum
Pet Peeves - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: Pet Peeves (/t-pet-peeves)

Pet Peeves - Dex Luther - 2023-10-13

It really bugs me that metadata providers tend to send images without the series title or anything for Jellyfin to set as the primary image. Happened a lot when I used Plex too. Especially annoying for newer series, and you don't even recognize the characters. When it happens with anime titles, there's added frustration since a lot of the time the characters from one series to another look similar!

Example:
[Image: bx162670-07XrFq2hreTx.jpg]
Instead of:
[Image: 138696.jpg]

I like being able to scroll through a library and understand what's what by looking/reading the box art like it was a DVD/Blu-Ray collection or a bookshelf full of books.

Just had to vent. Feel free to do the same.

RE: Pet Peeves - Deleted User - 2023-10-13

yes, the worst part is that the metadata provider (tmdb specifically) does not tag the images with anything that you can use to filter

so if you write a metadata scraper you can't even exclude certain ones, you get a path and a rating and hope the highest rating is a good one

i ran into this as well as it started to serve up 4K BluRay Covers as posters with the black band on the top

RE: Pet Peeves - Dex Luther - 2023-10-13

(2023-10-13, 01:48 PM)000 Wrote: yes, the worst part is that the metadata provider (tmdb specifically) does not tag the images with anything that you can use to filter

so if you write a metadata scraper you can't even exclude certain ones, you get a path and a rating and hope the highest rating is a good one

i ran into this as well as it started to serve up 4K BluRay Covers as posters with the black band on the top

I don't mind those 4k Blu-ray covers with the bands along the top. At least, they usually have the rest of what makes up actual "box art" which includes the title on them. What's even more puzzling is that if you go the the page of the metadata provider for the item in question, they usually have the proper image with a title on it set as the main image. Why doesn't the API send that one first? Gah!

RE: Pet Peeves - Yankees4life - 2023-10-16

Ehh..just use tmm or mediaelch for that and disable all metadata plugins. The metadata providers can be a picky on that sort of stuff. If you set it up yourself, then you have control over that

RE: Pet Peeves - Dex Luther - 2023-10-18

(2023-10-16, 08:44 PM)Yankees4life Wrote: Ehh..just use tmm or mediaelch for that and disable all metadata plugins. The metadata providers can be a picky on that sort of stuff. If you set it up yourself, then you have control over that

By TMM, I assume you mean Tiny Media Manager. I've tried it in the past when I was looking for a replacement for Filebot and I didn't like it. Plus having to resort to 3rd part programs doesn't resolve my pet peeve with the APIs they are all getting their information from. I can get those images from inside Jellyfin anyway.

It's like creating an API to return primary colors, but having it return only colors made by combining the primary colors. Kinda defeats the purpose of your primary color API. Sure, having it return other colors could be useful, but its first/main return should always be Red, Green, or Blue. Not Purple. If someone wants Purple, they can make specific API requests for it.

That's the annoyance. Most of the metadata providers will even have an image posted on the page as the "main" image for the show/movie, but their API doesn't return that image. It'll always send the "clean" image first for Jellyfin (or other programs/services) to grab.

Maybe the issue is that the API are serving that image because it's the "Newest" one, or maybe Jellyfin/Sonarr and everything else that pulls from the API is requesting the "Newest" image. Maybe a distinction should be made in the API for the "Main Title Image". Maybe there already is one and Jellyfin and others should be requesting it, but aren't and there should at least be an option for it. Maybe it's all of the above or some combination of it. I don't know, I'm resolving it by "Edit images," but it's a pet peeve nonetheless.

RE: Pet Peeves - Deleted User - 2023-10-18

exactly @Dex Luther

all i request is that they tag them, return them in whatever order you want but tag them

boxart, poster, fan poster, german, english, spanish whatever works

for your color example it would work perfectly if the color api just returned types then its just a matter of if type primary

Code:
{'colors': [{'color': 'red','type': 'primary'},
        {'color': 'green','type': 'primary'},
        {'color': 'blue','type': 'primary'},
        {'color': 'purple','type': 'secondary'}]}