Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan (/t-solved-jellyfin-removes-new-content-after-every-scan)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - Codsworth - 2023-10-16

Hi,

I'm using the latest (10.8.11) version, installed via Debian repository.
Any time the library scan runs, it seems like it removes everything from "new tv shows" and replaces it with the new discovered ones. But the old should stay there too, I couldn't find a setting for this. It seems to work with movies and animes, but not with tv shows . I guess because there are few changes atm (re-encoding and renaming few files), jellyfin then detects this series as new tv show even tho it existed the whole time and then replaces it with the previously found tv show.
This behiavor makes it impossible to find new tv shows on the home page.

Also it seems like content from tv shows is also dissapearing sometimes from "next up", but I can't describe this more.

Best regards

RE: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-16

I think this is expected behavior. Expected meaning that Jellyfin is coded to behave this way. I think Jellyfin uses one of the file creation/modify dates. In my experience, renaming files shouldn't trigger this. But re-encoding probably would since it appears as an entirely new file as far as jellyfin is concerned. I've always waited until I re-encoded files before I added them to my library.

RE: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - bitmap - 2023-10-16

Can confirm that re-encoding 100% will trigger this behavior. If the client you're using supports it, sort the TV shows library by date added and the entire thing becomes a "latest" list.

RE: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - Codsworth - 2023-10-16

I understand that this is the expected behavior with existing series, but why should it remove others from "newest"? This does not make any sense, how should the user be able to discover new things then without going to the tv show page.
Also I have setup jellyfin to use the scan date not the file creation date globally.

Its a bit weird for TV shows. I think the max number of items listed in the latest movies section is something like 10 or 16. For TV shows its 100. But jellyfin treats each EPISODE of a TV show as counting towards that 100 item maximum. So if you have a large TV show with a lot of episodes it may be the only item on the latest TV show list. You have to add 100 new episodes of other shows before that large TV show is displaced.

Something about the way Jellyfin queries the database when generating those Latest lists. Its a known issue and requires a bit a database rework to address. So it may be a bit before that behavior is changed.

Oh okay, that makes sense now, one tv show has over 150 episodes, I guess this already explodes the limit. I guess there is no way to extend this limit? Directly compared to plex, it is significantly less user-friendly to discover new shows like this

RE: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - Deleted User - 2023-10-16

(2023-10-16, 07:51 PM)Codsworth Wrote: Directly compared to plex, it is significantly less user-friendly to discover new shows like this

an alternative is 2 clicks away

open the tv shows library section, sort by date added

(2023-10-16, 07:51 PM)Codsworth Wrote: Oh okay, that makes sense now, one tv show has over 150 episodes, I guess this already explodes the limit. I guess there is no way to extend this limit? Directly compared to plex, it is significantly less user-friendly to discover new shows like this

The 100 count limit is hard coded.

(2023-10-16, 07:57 PM)000 Wrote: open the tv shows library section, sort by date added

Yeah, thats one way, or you simply design an app user friendly like plex, I don't get your response, if you're fine with this, okay, but I don't believe that every user is fine with that.

(2023-10-16, 08:01 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The 100 count limit is hard coded.

Okay, well time for me to create a plugin that soft-codes it. Or something that counts the shows and not single episodes, which doesn't make any sense anyways.

RE: Jellyfin removes new content after every scan - Deleted User - 2023-10-16

(2023-10-16, 08:28 PM)Codsworth Wrote: Yeah, thats one way, or you simply design an app user friendly like plex, I don't get your response, if you're fine with this, okay, but I don't believe that every user is fine with that.

well, it was intended as a friendly 'however you can do this' but i can see you are not a friendly person

enjoy your plex

have a ____ day