Jellyfin Forum
LG Web OS - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: LG Web OS (/t-lg-web-os)

LG Web OS - AppleJuice - 2023-10-20

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to Jellyfin, i'm actually trying to figure out if selfhosting Plex or Jellyfin and considering some problems, the main one is the availability of Jellyfin client on my TVs, i've 3 LG TVs, all three running a different fork of WebOS 4, and as you probably know, on the app downloader, you can't find the Jellyfin client, as probably available only on WebOS 6.
I know i can install it on my TV via Developer Mode on all TVs, i've already tried on one, with bad result, and considering i don't have much time to troubleshooting those stuff, other than i need to setup the docker on my server and i probably already need a lot of time to do that properly, there is any other solution?

How i can get the Jellyfin client for WebOS 4 on my 3 TVs, without losing a lot of time? Because Plex is available with one click in the LG app downloader.

I don't like Plex, it's a pain to setup in confront to Jellyfin, without mentioning the other benefit of Jellyfin, like the UI, but if i can get it working on my TVs, it becomes useless.

Pls, tell me there is an easy way to get it, not only for me, but in a case where i want other people of my family using it, how i can tell them a procedure like that. 

Thx

RE: LG Web OS - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-20

This is one of the many draw backs of relying on your TV's smart capabilities.  NONE of the TV makers actually update their TVs.

IMO, getting an Android TV dongle will probably give you the best experience.  Whether you use Plex or Jellyfin.  They will have better codec support and have much newer versions of Android. If you need a new one years from now, its a $35 dongle not tied to your TV.

(2023-10-20, 04:56 PM)AppleJuice Wrote: ...
other than i need to setup the docker on my server and i probably already need a lot of time to do that properly, there is any other solution?

Are you using docker because you need docker?  Or because someone on youtube said to?  If you don't need the capabilities that docker gives you, not having to worry about conflicting dependencies between a lot of apps, you should install Jellyfin directly in your OS.

RE: LG Web OS - AppleJuice - 2023-10-20

(2023-10-20, 05:23 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: This is one of the many draw backs of relying on your TV's smart capabilities.  NONE of the TV makers actually update their TVs.

IMO, getting an Android TV dongle will probably give you the best experience.  Whether you use Plex or Jellyfin.  They will have better codec support and have much newer versions of Android.  If you need a new one years from now, its a $35 dongle not tied to your TV.

(2023-10-20, 04:56 PM)AppleJuice Wrote: ...
other than i need to setup the docker on my server and i probably already need a lot of time to do that properly, there is any other solution?

Are you using docker because you need docker?  Or because someone on youtube said to?  If you don't need the capabilities that docker gives you, not having to worry about conflicting dependencies between a lot of apps, you should install Jellyfin directly in your OS.

"This is one of the many drawbacks of" Jellyfin, not of my TVs.
Another box, another remote, for something that my TV already can do pretty well. If it is only me, i would just get a Windows pc and watch things from file explorer, like i'm already doing when i watch things on my pc, but for my parents and other people, it is not that easy. When, as i say, plex exist and work with one click. 

As dockers, i run my services on a NAS with unRaid, i don't like to keep 24/7 my gaming system that draw 150W idling when my NAS is 10W idling. Much easier to organize everything.

RE: LG Web OS - Deleted User - 2023-10-20

(2023-10-20, 10:34 PM)AppleJuice Wrote: "This is one of the many drawbacks of" Jellyfin, not of my TVs.

... right, nothing wrong with something that's been passed around since it was Palm OS (which incidentally is no longer a product any longer, gee wonder why)

RE: LG Web OS - AppleJuice - 2023-10-21

(2023-10-20, 11:06 PM)000 Wrote:
(2023-10-20, 10:34 PM)AppleJuice Wrote: "This is one of the many drawbacks of" Jellyfin, not of my TVs.

... right, nothing wrong with something that's been passed around since it was Palm OS (which incidentally is no longer a product any longer, gee wonder why)

Thx, very helpful respond.
What a great community.

I think i've my answer on what service to use.

RE: LG Web OS - Deleted User - 2023-10-21

(2023-10-21, 03:07 PM)AppleJuice Wrote:
(2023-10-20, 11:06 PM)000 Wrote:

Thx, very helpful respond.
What a great community.

I think i've my answer on what service to use.

glad i could help, enjoy

note:
jellyfin is not a commercial product and is not in competition with other offers because there is no need to gain market share on a free product
short version : use what you like no feelings will be hurt