Jellyfin Forum
Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? (/t-is-there-a-plugin-to-rearrange-by-genre-tag)

Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Rezer - 2023-10-21

This may not even be the right place to even ask this, but maybe somebody can point me in the right direction...

My goal right now is to get shows for very young children to be sorted into its own folder, both so the kids will only see those shows and so everybody else doesn't have the main library cluttered with 200 different paw patrol movies or whatever the hell these kids watch.  If I was the only one downloading things it's easy enough to just select the correct folder for children's content as it's downloaded, but I currently have a setup with Jellyseerr and one instance each of Radarr/Sonarr to download everything.  I have several family members that are able to make requests, but I see no way within Jellyseerr itself to have it redirect content to a different folder either based on tags or the user making the request, and it doesn't appear as if adding a separate instance of Radarr/Sonarr for children's content is going to work the way I'd want it to with Jellyseerr.  This leaves me trying to sort it out after the fact once Jellyfin picks it up.

I'm curious if there's any functionality via a plugin or otherwise within Jellyfin to just move movies/shows with a specific tag (i.e. tag for user that made the Jellyseerr request) or a certain genre/rating to its own library during the import process, or even a bulk manual move after the fact if necessary.  Currently I'm having to manually dig through the folder structure and just copy/paste things around, and it just feels like this should be a solved problem already.  I've seen others suggest simply tagging children's movies and either blocking/allowing within the parental controls for each user, but that's a bit messier and more labor intensive than just having it in a separate folder with single point access control, with the added benefit of allowing adults that want to see children's content the very simple option of selecting that library.

So does anything like this exist, or is moving things around like this too far outside the scope of what Jellyfin's meant to be doing?

RE: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Deleted User - 2023-10-21

jellyfin has parental control so that you can choose items with a rating higher than specified are hidden

also exclude by tags

requires creating a limited user for use by kids and if you do that you could split the library so that there is a kids only and an adults

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/users/adding-managing-users

RE: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Rezer - 2023-10-21

(2023-10-21, 06:11 AM)000 Wrote: jellyfin has parental control so that you can choose items with a rating higher than specified are hidden

also exclude by tags

requires creating a limited user for use by kids and if you do that you could split the library so that there is a kids only and an adults

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/users/adding-managing-users

I understand that but that's only half the solution...it hides inappropriate content from kids but still clutters the regular libraries with animated shovelware.  Even if one were to go to the trouble of making sure everything got tagged appropriately and all users had the appropriate visibility set for the ratings/tags, then you're in a situation where adults have to have a separate account if they actually want to view the content with a kid friendly rating.

Note that I do not mean to imply that this is a problem without a solution, there are currently ways to accomplish this but they all seem in some way to be less than ideal.  Some method of sorting to a different library would seem, as least to me, to be a more user friendly solution.

i do not see this working without at minimum 2 user accounts

1 - adults
2 - kids

otherwise how do you apply a "magic" filter when you don't know who you're filtering for (user access control without users, somehow)

the way i see this working, based on my experience with jellyfin

1 library for kids, access enabled for the kids account in the dashboard
- additional access enabled for adults

1 library for movies, access enabled for adults, access disabled for kids

from the user settings you can merge 2 sections
- from the user icon in the upper right -> home -> "Library Folders" -> "Automatically group content from the following folders into views"

with that, on the adult account, you can display both libraries together, kids+adults for the adults account
- or separate so that you remove the clutter of 'kids movies'

to ensure nothing accidentally gets into kids sections you would also turn on the parental control when everything with a rating higher than G, PG-13 is hidden

edit:

References to sections library refer to Libraries in the control panel where you add paths and set content, not individual independent full JellyFin Libraries

i use multiple library entries myself to separate media of the same content "movies", it works very well

RE: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-21

The way I handle my kid's library is by using symlinks.  This way their library is full of content I explicitly allow, but also don't have to duplicate files.

RE: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Rezer - 2023-10-21

My goal here isn't to just separate items into a separate library that only kids can access; I've already got that pretty much figured out as to how to get it setup. What I want to do is automate it to some degree somewhere in the Jellyseerr > Radarr/Sonarr > Jellyfin pipeline so content with a certain genre/tag/rating automatically gets redirected to a different library root folder. With the Jellyfin plugin system I thought perhaps somebody already put something like this together, but I'm not seeing anything along those lines and to be honest I'm not really sure moving files around during import is even possible with the API.

I'm currently trying to get it to work via Radarr/Sonarr scripting events. I think it just might be doable by having a script access the REST API for each newly added movie/show and parse the relevant info via jq then just do a simple match on a set of tags and send a PUT request that updates the root folder.

i see

no i do not have any suggestions on how to over-complicate a simple task by using as many 3rd party api clients as possible

my apologies for wasting your time by trying to make it simple

RE: Is there a plugin to rearrange by genre/tag? - Rezer - 2023-10-22

(2023-10-21, 08:11 PM)000 Wrote: i see

no i do not have any suggestions on how to over-complicate a simple task by using as many 3rd party api clients as possible

my apologies for wasting your time by trying to make it simple

I don't know where that's coming from...you made good suggestions but they don't solve the automation part of it.  I currently have a setup not unlike what you suggest, but my main issue with it is that since users are able to initiate downloads on their own, it doesn't always wind up in the right place and I have to manually intervene after the fact.  Since at least one of the users is a parent with a young child, almost everything they download winds up somewhere I don't want it to.  If you're claiming your solution solves that in some way, I do apologize for not "getting it", but I'm failing to see how it gets me to an automated solution?  There still seems to be manual steps after the download is complete.

I don't wish to add unnecessary complexity, just enough to keep me from having move files around all the time...I hope that makes sense?