Jellyfin Forum
Souce error on playback - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Souce error on playback (/t-souce-error-on-playback)

Souce error on playback - Checkerknight - 2023-10-23

I have been building up my library collection for a while now, ripping blu rays, handbraking them, moving them onto my Jellyfin server and all that jazz, and I have everything down to a T for Jellyfin to be able to play it. The only thing that Jellyfin needs to do is remux the file from MKV to whatever (because MKV's are incredibly easy to work with and the raspberry pi its running on can handle it) but video, sub, and audio are all 100% supported. I have one movie in particular that has undergone the same process as every other, and will playback on chrome, but while attempting to playback on Jellyfin for android, and Jellyfin for android TV, I get a source error and the file will not play. 
I tried accessing to logs to see what is happening but whenever I move them onto windows from the server (from var/logs/jellyfin) and open with notepad it just presents me with a blank file, but it is a Ffmpeg.Remux log which I believe would imply that for whatever reason its failing to repack it from MKV? A bit of an open ended question here but does anyone know what could be happening here? Or how I can access more information on this particular log error from the server?

RE: Souce error on playback - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-23

You can read your logs in the dashboard. If you could retrieve them that way, upload them to pastebin and link it back here.

RE: Souce error on playback - Deleted User - 2023-10-23

Hint:
- Go to the dashboard
- Click logs
- Click on a log to open it in your browser

RE: Souce error on playback - Checkerknight - 2023-10-23

(2023-10-23, 02:57 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You can read your logs in the dashboard.  If you could retrieve them that way, upload them to pastebin and link it back here.
I have never used pastebin before, but when I open the log from my dashboard, by clicking on it, it just opens up a new chrome tab page that is entirely white, just as the downloaded ones. All the logs are seemingly empty

RE: Souce error on playback - Deleted User - 2023-10-24

sounds like the installation is in a bad state

check the usual suspects, paths, permissions
if there are any NTFS drives connected/in-use take them to a windows computer and do a chkdsk
check the mount output to see if anything has been remounted 'ro' (normally happens when fstab is set to error=remount-ro and the drive gets an error)
at this point it would be up to the local administrator (you) to track it down as remote help without logs will be nearly impossible other than some stabs in the dark (like the above)

RE: Souce error on playback - Checkerknight - 2023-10-24

(2023-10-24, 12:04 AM)000 Wrote: sounds like the installation is in a bad state

check the usual suspects, paths, permissions
if there are any NTFS drives connected/in-use take them to a windows computer and do a chkdsk
check the mount output to see if anything has been remounted 'ro' (normally happens when fstab is set to error=remount-ro and the drive gets an error)
at this point it would be up to the local administrator (you) to track it down as remote help without logs will be nearly impossible other than some stabs in the dark (like the above)

Are your solutions in reguards to viewing the logs, or the video issue? The fact that its just one movie out of the 200+ that are on the drive makes me believe that it is not an issue with what youve listed above. I think will first attempt to make another copy of this movie in particular I guess, maybe something happened during the encoding process and the file is unplayable from start to finish (which I wouldnt know unless I actually watched it all the way through). I had one movie that didnt get completely moved over onto the server before my computer was shutdown and was unplayable as well, but was still listed on the server. Does not appear to be the case with this one, but starting from scratch who knows.

RE: Souce error on playback - Deleted User - 2023-10-24

(2023-10-24, 04:38 PM)Checkerknight Wrote: Are your solutions in reguards to viewing the logs, or the video issue?

only in reference to logs, without which it's like you are asking what color shirt you have on
- without being able to see anything nobody can tell you more than a guess (and guessing a color is far easier than guessing why something isn't working on a computer)

RE: Souce error on playback - Checkerknight - 2023-10-26

I have noticed that this movie in particular (The Terminator btw) is the only movie that I've come across that has a source video file within the .mkv of "MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)". Not even windows will pull a preview thumbnail on it, whereas the rest of my movies pull a "H264-MPEG-4 AVC(part 10)(avc1)" file as the source video. I have the video queued up in handbrake and will see what the output is once finished, but is it possible the source video is just flatout not supported by jellyfin? I dont even see it listed on the codec page. Sorry if I am not being very helpful, like I said I am unable/don't know how to properly pull my .log file

RE: Souce error on playback - bitmap - 2023-10-26

You could try refreshing the metadata for the item to see what happens, but image extracts are part of a scheduled task unless you have Jellyfin set to extract images when items are scanned in. Dashboard > Playback has options for enabling hardware decoding of codecs. One of these is MPEG, which may not be compatible with the hardware of your server, but you would need to provide info on your server, which I haven't seen in this topic. If you don't have hardware acceleration enabled, that's a moot point, as software decoding is possible regardless. If you have hardware acceleration enabled and MPEG checked in that list, try unchecking it.

I have to say that taking shots in the dark isn't going to help you resolve your issues, though. Without any logging, you're shit out of luck when you need to troubleshoot anything. There are literally no hints, clues, or evidence of what's happening. So you need to figure out how to access your logs and, if nothing is being logged, you need to figure out why. Otherwise nobody can really help you effectively and you certainly won't be able to help yourself.

RE: Souce error on playback - Checkerknight - 2023-10-27

Re-encoding the movie and moving onto the server has solved my issue with that particular file. I'm going to assume that it didn't get moved onto the server fully and was an incomplete file. It appears that I need to look into my log issue now though. Thank you all for commenting 😊