Jellyfin Forum
DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV (/t-dts-hd-not-converting-to-dts-on-google-tv)

DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV - Eddez - 2023-10-24

When playing back DTS-HD or DTS-MA files they don't get converted down to normal DTS they instead get sent as PCM 2.0 but when playing back a normal DTS file it gets passthrough to my receiver as a DTS file as normal. Is there a problem with the DTS Core format when using an ARC connection? DTS passthrough is also enabled in jellyfin.

My TV is a TCL QLED760 with support for DTS and DTS-MA and is used with a Yamaha RX-481. So I can't understand what causes the playback issue. Have other people experienced this too? And if you fixed what did you do? Waiting for an Nvidia Shield to arrive at the moment as I want to be able to play AAC,TrueHD and DTS-MA and hoping this will fix the issue when it arrives. But this is still something that should be acknowledged and fixed.

RE: DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-25

I think there is a setting you have to enable in Android TV for DTS bitstreaming. Is that enabled?

RE: DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV - Deleted User - 2023-10-25

what you are talking about is the result of how the core player handles the stream

jellyfin demuxes and sends it to exoplayer in your tv, exoplayer does the rest so if it isn't working then it's due to exoplayer

exoplayer is a core component of the android operating system and is compiled with the firmware - nothing jf can do

sidenote, personal request please refrain from the tiny font some of us are old

RE: DTS-HD not converting to DTS on Google TV - Eddez - 2023-10-26

(2023-10-25, 12:51 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I think there is a setting you have to enable in Android TV for DTS bitstreaming.  Is that enabled?

Yes bit-streaming is both enabled in the TV and in the Jellyfin app. I have also tested with both LibVLC and ExoPlayer which both state that they support the DTS and DTS-HD format. I also tried with the normal VLC players and got the same result every DTS format that is not DTS-Core gets converted to 2.0 PCM.

After some research i came to this conclusion:

I think this is just a problem with Android TV players instead of doing like a Blu-Ray player does and just play the DTS core file inside of the DTS-MA it seems that Android TV,s convert the DTS-MA formats to LPCM to get higher quality audio. The problem is that most Android TV players can't send out a LPCM signal and it defaults to a 2.0 PCM signal instead (I know most TVs can't play DTS either but still the ones that can shouldn't be faced with this problem). And if your TV can send out LPCM you also need an eARC receiver as LPCM is nor supported over normal ARC like DTS-Core is.

There exist some exceptions to this rule when it comes to TV's internal players but most people will need to use an external Android TV player that supports LPCM and that is also not a guarantee. Some known Android players that I know can send out LPCM are the Shield and Chromcast with Google TV 4K.

I think this is the likely reason why it doesn't work.

(2023-10-25, 06:33 PM)000 Wrote: what you are talking about is the result of how the core player handles the stream

jellyfin demuxes and sends it to exoplayer in your tv, exoplayer does the rest so if it isn't working then it's due to exoplayer

exoplayer is a core component of the android operating system and is compiled with the firmware - nothing jf can do

sidenote, personal request please refrain from the tiny font some of us are old

I posted the conclusion i came to below sorry for the small font an weired text i always copy past my post in google docs first to fix typo,s and when pasting it back in here it got messed up. But fixed it now!