Jellyfin Forum
DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue (/t-dts-master-audio-transcoding-issue)

Pages: 1 2

DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Kurozumi - 2023-06-28

Hi there, have an issue with DTS Master Audio Playback in Jellyfin, first here is my setup:

-Jellyfin server is a docker container on my NAS
-Docker Container is pulled from jellyfin/jellyfin
-Jellyfin server version is 10.8.10 Linux/x64
-Playback device is a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
-the AVR is capable of playing DTS MA and HRA

Don't know, what i'm doing wrong, i can't get the hires DTS formats to work, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus play as they should, DTS does not.
Transcoding is deactivated on the user, and the user info says "direct playing".

In the app settings on the Shield , the audio output is set to "direct", Dolby bitstream audio and DTS bitstream audio are both enabled. Preferred videoplayer is set to "exoplayer".

Hope that information helps for troubleshooting, if i use other apps (Kodi or VLC f.e.) to play the same files from my NAS, the audio playback works flawless.

Thanks very much

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - skribe - 2023-06-29

What does "not work" mean here? Is it giving you an error? Is it transcoding even though you think it shouldn't? Is it simply not producing any audio from the receiver?

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Kurozumi - 2023-07-02

Sorry for the unfortunate phrasing.
Not working in this case means, i get bitstream DTS-audio, but it's the old pre-bluray era DTS, no DTS Master Audio nor DTS High Resolution Audio.
So if i try to play something with a DTS:MA or a DTS:HRA audio track, and i get the non-HD DTS.

Cheers

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - skribe - 2023-07-02

Can you share your server log and any ffmpeg logs related to the streams in question? They should provide some information on what jellyfin is doing, and why it thinks it needs to do it.

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Kurozumi - 2023-07-03

Sure, i started and stopped Tron (DTS:MA) , then Blade Runner (Dolby TrueHD), after that New Jack City (DTS:MA), you should see it in the log.

You find the log file here: Click this link

Thanks again

Edit: If i can provide any other logs, just tell me where i'll find them!

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - skribe - 2023-07-04

(2023-07-03, 04:16 PM)Kurozumi Wrote: Sure, i started and stopped Tron (DTS:MA) , then Blade Runner (Dolby TrueHD), after that New Jack City (DTS:MA), you should see it in the log.

You find the log file here: Click this link

Thanks again

Edit: If i can provide any other logs, just tell me where i'll find them!

It looks like only one stream was even transcoding, and that was because the video codec was unsupported by the device. The rest of these are direct playing on the client. It's possible you're looking at some client side bug, but it's also possible that this is just a problem with the capabilities of the client device. It doesn't look like there is anything particularly odd about how the server is handling these streams though.

I also use an Nvidia Shield as a client, and it plays all of these formats via jellyfin without issue. I don't think you provided a full server log, so I'm not able to verify things like your server version. There were some transcoding issues related to lossless codecs that were fixed in 10.8.10, but you said you're already using that, and they didn't impact direct play in the first place.

I am not aware of any existing audio bugs. My thought is that you might just be missing something in your android device settings, or your receiver.

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Kurozumi - 2023-07-06

That seems odd, all equipment should handle it just fine, i checked the settings on the equipment, but everything looks fine, at least i think it does.
As far as settings goes, the shield is set to 3840x2160 59.94Hz YCbCr 4:2:2 12Bits on the video side, and allowed audio formats is set to everything enabled, except atmos (since my surround pre doesn't support it).
The input devices are all EDID managed by a video processor, and the EDID is set to 4K60 4:4:4 7.1 HDR with all formats, so the all input devices get told, that the signal chain can handle everything HDMI 2.0B has to offer.
Video/audio and audio is split to two HDMI ports, so the surround-pre doesn't even get any video signal.

What's bugging me, is that audio/video is handled correctly in VLC and Kodi, but on Jellyfin DTS is funky. If it was globally/system wide on all apps, i would definitely agree to check the android settings, too.
I'll try some other settings for audio capabilities, just to give it a shot, and report back

Thanks again

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Kurozumi - 2023-07-10

Hi there, tried every setting i could, as it was (manual, everything on shield enabled, except atmos), manual with everything enabled, auto (had everything enabled via EDID), didn'change the behaviour.
Tried another player option (libVLC), but then i only get PCM, so went back to the exoplayer setting.

Any other ideas/suggestions? As i mentioned before, Kodi and VLC do it, as they should, also does Netflix, Prime and Disney+, that's why i don't think it's a setting on the shield itself...

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - TraderHowell - 2023-10-31

I have been plagued by this issue for the last few years. I keep wanting to ditch Plex entirely but Jellyfin experiences issues playing the lossless versions and drops down to the lossy core of DTS-HD MA. I can confirm you are not alone in this issue, and I too have tried almost every conceivable option and combination of settings I can think of, using the same test files across Plex and Jellyfin with the same hardware. I will try to generate some logs if possible and report back.

RE: DTS Master Audio Transcoding Issue - Voidths - 2023-11-01

On the Nvidia Shield Pro I can't get DTS-HD MA to work no matter what I try. Only plays it in stereo. Same files work fine with the Plex app and with Kodi. Zidoo plays the same files fine. Apple TV with Infuse passes the LPCM fine. Seems like the Jellyfin app on the Shield doesn't support DTS-HD MA passthrough. I've kinda given up on it with the Shield.