Jellyfin Forum
Tuner install - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Tuner install (/t-tuner-install)

Tuner install - dwf2008 - 2023-11-05

I know I need a tuner to view live tv. Are there both software and hardware tuners or only hardware? If both, is there a good free software tuner available and a guide on how to install it? Also, what listing guide would be recommended to go with it?

Thanks

RE: Tuner install - BobHasNoSoul - 2023-11-06

there are both, however you would need to source a free one that is legal for you to use in your specific region.. these are m3u tuners and are able to be used as iptv type deals. github has some free ones laying around that claim to be legal (i wont link in case they arn't) but a few are able to do a hdhomerun emulation that can make it easier to get an epg running with it, however they are pretty much the same if you are manually specifying an epg.

you can also buy a super cheap device like a gtmedia satellite receiver and use a script i made (should be on my github under gtmedaim3u later today) to pull the channels to an m3u and play it via that.

there are other sources for things but again this wouldnt be the place for it.

edit: you also would want to find a guide for your specific channels.. most providers give you these but failing that mc2xml exists, but i am unsure of your country or region to help you with that further

hope this helps you on your journey

RE: Tuner install - bitmap - 2023-11-06

I'm using a cheap hardware tuner that does a good job but I'm having a helluva time getting it to work with Jellyfin using TVHeadEnd. If the source is coax (e.g., cable, OTA) then you need hardware to connect the signal.

RE: Tuner install - BobHasNoSoul - 2023-11-06

if you like i can try to help with that, what is the exact issue you are having with getting it to work with jellyfin via tvheadend? i remember one bug i had that was when it would hold open the connection clogging up the tuners but this can be fixed with a max tuner limit and a few things inside tvh settings for the tuner.

also what hardware tuner are you using, i use hdhomerun quatro, and gtmedia v8 turbo and a virtual tuner that emulates a hdhomerun but pulls things like plutotv etc

RE: Tuner install - dwf2008 - 2023-11-06

I do not have any tuner at the moment. Tell me what to download. I am in Arizona.

RE: Tuner install - elephantLYFE - 2023-11-07

(2023-11-06, 09:19 PM)BobHasNoSoul Wrote: if you like i can try to help with that, what is the exact issue you are having with getting it to work with jellyfin via tvheadend? i remember one bug i had that was when it would hold open the connection clogging up the tuners but this can be fixed with a max tuner limit and a few things inside tvh settings for the tuner.

also what hardware tuner are you using, i use hdhomerun quatro, and gtmedia v8 turbo and a virtual tuner that emulates a hdhomerun but pulls things like plutotv etc

I have an HDHomeRun sitting in a drawer, future project to setup with Jellyfin! Smiling-face

RE: Tuner install - bitmap - 2023-11-07

(2023-11-06, 09:19 PM)BobHasNoSoul Wrote: if you like i can try to help with that, what is the exact issue you are having with getting it to work with jellyfin via tvheadend? i remember one bug i had that was when it would hold open the connection clogging up the tuners but this can be fixed with a max tuner limit and a few things inside tvh settings for the tuner.

Would love that. I'll either start a new topic and tag you or I can DM you if you prefer. The issue is that the standard codecs and profiles were not getting a compatible stream to Jellyfin. Despite being able to play within TVH, fetch the guide data, etc... Jellyfin couldn't pull a stream. Sadly, even TVH by itself couldn't record, which is my main interest. Don't want to hijack this topic though.

RE: Tuner install - BobHasNoSoul - 2023-11-07

(2023-11-07, 04:59 AM)elephantLYFE Wrote: I have an HDHomeRun sitting in a drawer, future project to setup with Jellyfin! Smiling-face

hdhomeruns are a great choice Smiling-face