Jellyfin Forum
ipv6 access over the internet - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: ipv6 access over the internet (/t-ipv6-access-over-the-internet)

ipv6 access over the internet - Freeman - 2023-11-05

Hi everyone

I'll switch to a ISP which gives me "only ipv6" (with CGNAT for normal browsing).
I did some research and found out, that it is almost impossible to use jellyfin from remote/over the internet, or if I want to, I need a VPN/reverse proxy and so on.

My idea is, that i circumvent all of this and just use the ipv6 to connect to jellyfin.
I tested it and it worked over the local network (just like it did with ipv4 before). When testing over the internet it doesnt work.

What is the problem? Is it a ipv6 problem or might it be a firewall problem?

I found no "ipv6 question" on this forum or the internet, so I assume its a firewall problem, but I dont know how to fix this.

Could anyone help?

RE: ipv6 access over the internet - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-05

Honestly, a lot of us are still struggling to get IPv6 working with Jellyfin. Periodically I do more research and try some new things, but I've yet to succeed or find anyone else who has. I think a lot of the issue lies with router firewalls treating IPv6 like IPv4.

RE: ipv6 access over the internet - Freeman - 2023-11-05

I found out, that my mobile data (phone) and my second router/WIFI dont support Ipv6, so there is no way to connect to any Ipv6 site.
Its even worse: There is no mobile provider in Switzerland which includes IPv6, so there is no way to connect to any IPv6 server with my phone while on the go. Only if I use some kind of translation or a double stack IPv4/IPv6 server. Both of which I am struggling to get on my homeserver.

I am probably giving up and hoping that the swiss ISPs catch up in the next few years. So sad...
I might give Tailscale a try, but idk if it resolves any of the IPv-shenanigans.

RE: ipv6 access over the internet - superkoning - 2024-08-26

> My idea is, that i circumvent all of this and just use the ipv6 to connect to jellyfin.

Good!

> I tested it and it worked over the local network (just like it did with ipv4 before).

Good!

> When testing over the internet it doesnt work.

Not good.

> What is the problem? Is it a ipv6 problem or might it be a firewall problem?

Firewall, both on your router and (if you use it) Windows.
By default, routers and Windows will deny/block/drop all incoming IPv6 connections from Internet.

FWIW: I set up IPv6 on Jellyfin (and already had my router allowing IPv6 through), and I can now access jellyfin over ipv6 from Internet

RE: ipv6 access over the internet - Fate - 2024-08-26

(2024-08-26, 08:27 AM)superkoning Wrote: > My idea is, that i circumvent all of this and just use the ipv6 to connect to jellyfin.

Good!

> I tested it and it worked over the local network (just like it did with ipv4 before).

Good!

> When testing over the internet it doesnt work.

Not good.

> What is the problem? Is it a ipv6 problem or might it be a firewall problem?

Firewall, both on your router and (if you use it) Windows.
By default, routers and Windows will deny/block/drop all incoming IPv6 connections from Internet.

FWIW: I set up IPv6 on Jellyfin (and already had my router allowing IPv6 through), and I can now access jellyfin over ipv6 from Internet
Agree with everything above.

Just want to add if your IPv6 address begins with FE80 that that is link local address that is not route-able via the internet.

Usually your router allows you to select which IPv6 Addresses are given via DHCP.

RE: ipv6 access over the internet - superkoning - 2024-08-26

> Just want to add if your IPv6 address begins with FE80 that that is link local address that is not route-able via the internet.

Ouch, good point.

So OP could/should check via https://test-ipv6.com/ they have ipv6-connectivity to Internet

Or on the LAN interfaces there are IPv6 address starting with 2... , but less reliable.