Jellyfin Forum
"Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: "Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. (/t-player-version-not-browser-server-simple-laptop-setup-for-travelling)

"Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - WestAus - 2023-11-08

Hi, as most stuff is easily viewable online these days, I've not bothered with storage/player in years.

About to motorhome around Au, won't always have internet (or good). Trying to setup storage/player on laptop internal & portable storage.

No issues setting up browser version to read from internal via "Quick Start Guide", however, I found a "Player" version. From the pic looks a lot tidier, simpler, noob friendlier. 
But no "Quick Start Guide" with first load, asks "Connect to Server", wanting Host details. No idea how to get past this, can't find much info re "player" version via search.

So - Is there a way to setup the "Player" version using "Quick Start Guide", or easily bypass the request for server, simply read from internal?

Also, (in browser obviously) I tried to use the "Identify" feature to update a "TV series" meta, e.g. Avatar "The Last Airbender" (jelly thinks it's the Avatar movie).
This Youtube shows many options incl using IMDb ID.
For some reason my browser is only showing the Name: box at the top only, entering "The Last Airbender", or the IMDb ID does/says nothing?

Hopefully that's sufficient info.
Cheers!

RE: "Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-08

Tldr; Jellyfin Media Player is, essentially, a self contained version of Jellyfin web. But with better codecs support. It cannot be used to play or host content without jellyfin server. You need to point it to a Jellyfin server.

What library type is Avatar in? Sounds like you have it in a movie or mixed library type instead of a shows library.

RE: "Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - WestAus - 2023-11-08

(2023-11-08, 02:59 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You need to point it to a Jellyfin server.
That did the trick, Thank you. 
For any other noobs finding this, I entered localhost:8096, then the name of my PC.

(2023-11-08, 02:59 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What library type is Avatar in?
Playing around testing atm, I created a folder named TV in C:\Users\XXXXXX\Videos\TV . Only added Airbender, 65 .mkv episodes.
Jelly shows Avatar 1 cover, opening shows covers for 1 to 5 (nothing else)

EDIT/UPDATE: Found Answers via further hours... of searching down the rabbit burrows.
Be nice if all the old threads/posts/youtubes no longer relevant, or totally wrong, would just magically disappear for noobs coming behind those that now know better, from hours of sorting through all the BS.

For others finding this thread/post, whilst 9 months old, handy vlog/channel

RE: "Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - WestAus - 2023-11-11

Thought I'll continue this thread in-case I'm just dumb & it's obvious. If you want me to create a new one, let me know.

Q; I'm pretty sure youtubers don't type out their subtitles, something pre-reads what's about to be said, or says [music] when background noise, etc.

Is there a way to do similar with Jelly, for those files where no subs are available?

RE: "Player" version (not browser/server) Simple laptop setup for travelling. - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-11

Google throws sophisticated software, lots of compute, ad machine learning to enable that feature. Definitely not something you can just do with a plugin.