Jellyfin Forum
Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) (/t-playback-error-on-folders-list-photos-library-with-home-videos)

Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) - nonobio - 2023-07-02

Hi,

I'm new to Jellyfin,  but first I want to say thank you for this software, it seems to be great Smiling-face.

I have an annoying problem:
I have created a Photos library for my home videos and I have a Playback Error: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format. when I try to Play All or Shuffle on my folder list (from web or android client, even from local web client where is installed Jellyfin).

The issue is present event if I have only one or two video in this simple folder structure:

G:\mainfolder\subfolder\videofile1.mp4
---------------------------\videofile2.mp4

[Image: 252128697-e9ec8d8f-57e9-463d-b2aa-d4d7f1eea757.png]

If I press the 3 dots buttons on subfolder and press Shuffle or start playback on videofiles list (inside subfolder), playback works:
[Image: 252128794-868a1181-2db1-483d-b26e-87e1096146b4.png][Image: 252128838-6cc40056-303d-45c6-aed6-3412a13ce2af.png]

Do you have an idea of the problem?

Steps to reproduce the issue
  1. Put videofile1.mp4 and videodile2.mp4 into G:\mainfolder\subfolder\
  2. Add Media Library
  3. Content type: Photos
  4. Display name: homevideos
  5. Folder G:\mainfolder
  6. Ok, Ok
  7. Go to Media: homevideos
  8. Play All or Shuffle

Jellyfin Version

Environment
- Clients: Browser, Android
- Browser: Chrome 114.0.5735.199
- FFmpeg Version: ?
- Playback Method: Direct Play
- Hardware Acceleration: none
- GPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
- Plugins: Default (AudioDB, MusicBrainz, OMDb, Studio Images, TMDb)
- Reverse Proxy: none
- Base URL: ?
- Networking: ?
- Storage: local, SMB

RE: Playback error on folders list - nonobio - 2023-07-07

Hi,

I tried a lot of settings changes, try to create a library with other content types, deleted and recreated my library, and installed a fresh Jellyfin on another PC with default settings: same issue Slightly-frowning-face .

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem? I'm disappointed that I can't use Jellyfin.

I created an issue here with Jellyfin logs.

Thanks

RE: Playback error on folders list - thornbill - 2023-07-08

I believe this goes back to something that is a known issue in the web client... it sometimes fails to know how to play items in mixed content libraries.

RE: Playback error on folders list - nonobio - 2023-07-08

Hi,

(2023-07-08, 07:30 AM)thornbill Wrote: I believe this goes back to something that is a known issue in the web client... it sometimes fails to know how to play items in mixed content libraries.

I have also the issue with the Android client.

This is a Photo library type and I only have video files in it.

Do you think this is the known issue about web client and mixed content libraries you are talking about?

RE: Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) - nonobio - 2023-07-10

Hi,

I did a lot of tests again, nothing to do, the problem is still present.

I modified my first message so that my explanations are clearer, and that the steps to reproduce the issue are simple.
Out of curiosity, I quickly tested with Emby and there doesn't seem to be a problem. EDIT: I have the problem with EMby as soon as I create a second media library with the same folder as in the first.

RE: Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) - nonobio - 2023-07-12

Hi,

I enabled debug log and pasted it to my first message on Github Issue. I hope it will help.
It was generated with the following actions:

Added media library:
Attempt to shuffle from mainfolder folder: Playback error
Attempt to play shuffle from subfolder folder: Playback error
Random then Play all video files displayed: ok
Play each video file: ok
Perhaps an interesting lead: during my very first installation of Jellyfin, after adding my first media library, the problem was not present.
It was when I added a second media library which contained the same folder as in the first, that the problem appeared for the set of media libraries.

I thought of a problem in the database and read tips about problems with having identical folders in multiple libraries.

The thing is that since, even adding a single media library containing just one folder, one subfolder, and just two video files, the problem is still there, even after uninstalling and reinstalling Jellyfin!

Could someone just try to create the same Photos media library as mine? It is very simple: just create and add a mainfolder to the library with this structure:
G:\mainfolder\subfolder\
---------------------------videofile1.mp4
---------------------------videofile2.mp4

Thanks

RE: Playback error on folders list (Photos library with home videos) - nonobio - 2023-07-15

Hi,

After a discussion on Matrix, I was advised to use a Movies media library rather than Photos library for my personal videos.

I no longer have the Playback Error message Smiling-face. I will therefore be able to enjoy my videos while waiting for the bug to be resolved one day, and/or for a media library dedicated to personal videos to be created, it could be useful.

Indeed, I find that the Movies media library adds unnecessary navigation tabs and filters for personal videos: trailers, genre, etc.

And above all, I lost the Play all and Shuffle actions on the videos list:
[Image: cgHvSSo.png]

On the web client, I can find the shuffle action by clicking on the 3 dots button on the name of a library:
[Image: i0jSrz3.png]

But not on Android:
[Image: bBbbkkw.png]
[Image: hGZAjKe.png]

I managed to find the Shuffle action on Android by activating the folders view on the server:
[Image: TUXfMnA.png]

But I would like to have it on the direct view of the library's Movies tab. Is it possible ?