Jellyfin Forum
Limit simultaneous playback - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Limit simultaneous playback (/t-limit-simultaneous-playback)

Pages: 1 2

Limit simultaneous playback - Yunke - 2023-11-21

First of all, let me know that I am publishing my doubts through a translator.

After a long time of use, I have encountered some abuse from certain family members who do not stop using one device to use another.

In the server configurations, I have only found the possibility of bitrate limitation, but this does not convince me due to the wide range of bitrates of my files.
Limiting the number of devices to 1 means that when you log out on this one, then when you try to log in on another you have a login error, blocking access for said user.
I was wondering if there is any option, tool or plugin, to solve this problem.
My intention is that they can access it from the device they want but they can only play from a single device, just as it had in plex natively.

Thanks in advance

Versión: 10.8.12
S.O: Ubuntu 22.04

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-21

i am not aware of any automatic solution however if you open the dashboard, go to users, select the user and deselect "Enable access from all devices"

then make them pick 1 device to access from until they stop abusing your generosity

just my opinion

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-22

Doesn't "Maximum number of simultaneous user sessions" do this?

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-22

indeed i think you have it there TheDreadPirate

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - Yunke - 2023-12-04

(2023-11-22, 12:39 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Doesn't "Maximum number of simultaneous user sessions" do this?

This option marked at 0 means that you can access it from multiple devices without problem, but you can also play on as many devices as you want.

(2023-11-21, 09:14 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: i am not aware of any automatic solution however if you open the dashboard, go to users, select the user and deselect "Enable access from all devices"
then make them pick 1 device to access from until they stop abusing your generosity
just my opinion

Yes, it is another option, but every time you want to use a different device, you will have to let me know to enable it.
That's why my search is based on limiting the number of simultaneous reproductions, not the number of sessions.

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-04

(2023-12-04, 04:56 PM)Yunke Wrote:
(2023-11-22, 12:39 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Doesn't "Maximum number of simultaneous user sessions" do this?

This option marked at 0 means that you can access it from multiple devices without problem, but you can also play on as many devices as you want.

Yep.  So change it so it isn't 0?

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - Yunke - 2023-12-04

(2023-12-04, 05:20 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote:
(2023-12-04, 04:56 PM)Yunke Wrote:

Yep.  So change it so it isn't 0?

Yes, but in the case of entering 1.
When I log out of that device, it will not allow me to log in to another device, throwing a login error, "You do not have permission to connect."

What I don't want is for it to cause blocking, giving the possibility of being able to start on another device after logging out of the initial device.
In order to exchange the use wherever you want, for example smartv and mobile.
But with this you can only play on one of them at a time, blocking the previous one.

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - Sevenyx - 2023-12-06

I'm interested in this as well.
I have no desire to limit the number of devices people can log into, and I don't care if people are logged into several devices at the same time.
What I want to do is exactly what Plex does but better, and limit the number of concurrent streams per user at the user level.
I'm confused as to why this isn't a thing already; can Jellyfin not tell how many streams a user is using or doesn't it have the functionality to "see" that?
If it can, I don't know why a plugin hasn't been made that simply kills any additional streams above x.

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - enesha - 2023-12-08

I'm pretty sure tat TheDreadPirate's solution is what you need. From the user config page

Set the maximum number of simultaneous user sessions.
A value of 0 will disable the feature.

If you set that value to 1, That would force the person to be on from one device at a time. Perhaps not like plex with many sessions but x streams, however it would be somewhat the same. If you set it to one, then the person could log in from a phone but not the tv at the same time. They would need to log out of the phone to connect with the smart tv. If you had it set to 1, and logged out but couldn't log in with another device, I would wager the problem was the first session not being properly closed. In that case a work around would be to allow 2 sessions, so they could log out of one and be able to connect with the second device while the first session times out.

This may not be as seamless as the solution the other guys have, it would certainly allow access to the server while making the point that they are abusing your good will and perhaps modify their behavior. Isn't that the ultimate goal here?

If you want a feature like something that Plex has, submit it in the feature request section. For the time being, understand that this Isn't PLEX (however related they once were) so we have to work with the tools that we have.

RE: Limit simultaneous playback - Yunke - 2024-01-17

(2023-12-06, 01:18 AM)Sevenyx Wrote: I'm interested in this as well.
I have no desire to limit the number of devices people can log into, and I don't care if people are logged into several devices at the same time.
What I want to do is exactly what Plex does, and limit the number of concurrent streams per user on a server-wide level.
I'm confused as to why this isn't a thing already; can Jellyfin not tell how many streams a user is using or doesn't it have the functionality to "see" that?
If it can, I don't know why a plugin hasn't been made that simply kills any additional streams above x.

After some time searching, I still don't have a solution to this. Did you find any solution, since we are looking for the same thing, partner?