Jellyfin Forum
how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely (/t-how-to-access-jellyfin-from-android-phone-remotely)

how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - wbravin - 2023-11-22

Hello all

I Consider myself as an inexperienced noobie in IT. I'm learning as i go along

Last night I finally manage to install Jellyfin in truenas scale as a plugin and I can access my media via the web interface and my android app ( I can not download the windows jellyfin client) 

Truenass is running as a VM on a proxmox 8 server installed on a dell r720.

An other VM running on this server is Home Assistant which I access remotely using nabucasa. 

My ISP does not provide me with a statice Ip address.

My router is an asus  rt ac87u (In january i will be activating my opensense VM on the proxmox server) 

My partner and I will most likely be the only ones login in to Jellyfin 

I'm looking to be able to access my Jellyfin server from my android phone when my partner I are m driving or away fom the house.

I see may ways to do this (i don't understand any of them).

Since Jellyfin server is running in truenas, can i use the wireguard plugin in truenas? 

do in need to do something on the router? (and eventually to Opnsense)

What do i need to do in the Jellyfin server to make this work 

Thank you in advance for your time and help

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-22

You have a couple options.

The easy route is to setup Tailscale. It's as peer-to-peer VPN app (uses Wireguard). It doesn't require setting up certs or opening up your Jellyfin to the Internet, if that bothers you, or getting a domain name. This is a good solution if all the devices you watch on remotely can install the Tailscale client.

If you have remote devices that can't install Tailscale, like a Roku TV at a friends house, this option is not viable. You would need to go through the reverse proxy setup process and get certs.

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - wbravin - 2023-11-23

(2023-11-22, 06:25 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You have a couple options.

The easy route is to setup Tailscale.  It's as peer-to-peer VPN app (uses Wireguard).  It doesn't require setting up certs or opening up your Jellyfin to the Internet, if that bothers you, or getting a domain name.  This is a good solution if all the devices you watch on remotely can install the Tailscale client.

If you have remote devices that can't install Tailscale, like a Roku TV at a friends house, this option is not viable.  You would need to go through the reverse proxy setup process and get certs.

Hi thank you for your prompt reply

Now I an more confused....

Tailscale ??

Now i'm more confused. 

Where do i install Tailscale? This is not a plugin in truenas . Do i need to install it as a vm in opensense.

I reverse proxy li Duck will not work with my IPS  (tried this many years ago for Home assistant)

As i understand this I would need to install tailsacle on the client (my phone or remote pc.. Is this correct?

This sounds very complicated to me and I feel I should not consider it because of my lack of knowledge.

Thasnk you just the same for helping me

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-23

You could just YOLO it and open port 8096 in your router. No VPN or HTTPS. I don't recommend that, but it is an option.

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - wbravin - 2023-11-24

(2023-11-23, 05:29 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You could just YOLO it and open port 8096 in your router.  No VPN or HTTPS.  I don't recommend that, but it is an option.

@TheDereadPirate

Thank you for this information I'm not aware of YOLO. 

I search and found Yolo8 by Ultralytics is this the one?

On the same note, I'm learning about to implement remote access via  port forwarding form the router, via Tailscale app and even via a webcard in home assistant via nabucasa

Can you please direct me to a web page on how to configure Jellyfin itself for remote access with either solutions. There are many options that i do not understand

Once again thank you for taking the time to respond and help

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-24

YOLO is slang for disregarding any concerns and just going for it.

Every router is different.  I can't give step by step directions.

Google port forwarding for your router model and there is probably a guide somewhere.

Once you set that up then you just have to enable remote access in Jellyfin in the networking dashboard.

RE: how to access jellyfin from android phone remotely - wbravin - 2023-11-27

(2023-11-24, 04:56 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: YOLO is slang for disregarding any concerns and just going for it.

Every router is different.  I can't give step by step directions.

Google port forwarding for your router model and there is probably a guide somewhere.

Once you set that up then you just have to enable remote access in Jellyfin in the networking dashboard.

Thank you so much for your help

I did get a static IP from my ISP.

So now I will start learning how to configure and integrate and best use Gluten/Tailscalem/Jellyfin/truenasscale and PIA or Duckdns

This will about 2 weeks to learn

Thank you for you contribution and help