Jellyfin Forum
Media server help - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Media server help (/t-media-server-help)

Media server help - sam189239 - 2023-11-24

I am getting a 12TB HDD and I want to know the best way to set up a Media server + File server. Any guides and options would be super helpful too. So I already have my old gaming PC (i5 8th gen with a 1070) running with a 4 TB drive that I use for Jellyfin but for file transfers I’ve had to use Gdrive or something, havent figured out direct file transfers yet. Don’t really want to get a NAS right now as I want to be able to access my PC anyway (my PC and all this stuff is not gonna be at the place Im living right now). I also have a Raspberry Pi 3, so Im thinking I have two options

1. Add my 12TB to my PC and continue to have it running all the time and just set up some kind of FTP too.

2. Use my Raspberry Pi with the storage running all the time and hosting my Jellyfin server and File transfer thing too. Remotely turn on and use PC when needed to manage library and stuff.

Concerns:
With my PC, Im worried about having it run all the time and the power costs. And sometimes it just randomly restarts and Ill have to login again and start the Jellyfin server manually.

With the Raspberry Pi, Im worried about it being able to transcode 4K videos and stream it. I did try running Jellyfin out of it once but it was slow on 4K stuff, but I read about being able to pre encode stuff so that it doesnt need to live transcode.. not sure about it.

What do you think is a better option and what might allow me to fix these concerns and is there any other option i should be considering?

Also for backups, Im planning to get another 12TB a bit later and set up RAID. Is that a good option? What’s the most cost efficient way? Not looking to get some cloud subscription.

Dont really want to spend on anything else right now but should I consider any other alternative to the Pi and is there anything else that I could be doing or adding to make the setup better and have more functionality?

I know these are a lot of questions, so thank you so much if you take the time to give me some answers!

RE: Media server help - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-24

We strongly recommend that you DO NOT host Jellyfin on a RPi. If your library is all H264 + AAC, maybe. But it just doesn't have the power to transcode. There are much better low power PCs that you could use. There are a lot of mini PCs with Intel N100s that could handle several transcodes and even a couple 4K HDR tone mapped transcodes.

RE: Media server help - xaque - 2023-11-24

Pi with notifiarr set up, computer running server. Not going to delve into the details on how to set this up but the notifiarr wiki is well written and shouldn't be too much to set something up like; monitor jellyfin with notifiarr network integration, if jellyfin is down trigger a script to start jellyfin. The automation requires a subscription to notifiarr (One time fee) or you can simply use discord to get notifications and trigger the script manually through discord.