Jellyfin Forum
Importing M3U Playlists - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Importing M3U Playlists (/t-importing-m3u-playlists)

Pages: 1 2

Importing M3U Playlists - wbravin - 2023-11-26

Hello all

I am new to Jellyfin.

Until now I was using Kodi as my media player. 

I subscribe to the notion that music can help with your mood. 

Therefore in Kodi I currently have circa 160 albums and over 400 CDs.

I listen to my music exclusively by means of a playlist (which i have over 90 ranging from  my wakeup playlist that has 4 songs to my driving driving playlist that will last over 20 hours and over 70GB of music carefully sorted to change mood while driving)

Therefore to recreate these playlists is a major undertaking.

Kodi build M3U playlist

The music dataset used by Jellyfin is the same  as the used for Kodi. Therefore the location and naming of the media files is identical

When i build a playlist in Kodi the playlist is save in a playlist folder on my NAS and Kodi is configured to loads the playlist from there and play it.

This folder is now loaded into Jellyfin as it is included in the music folder loaded into jellyfin

The M3U playlists now loaded into Jellyfin cannot be played via Jellyfin and i get: 
Playback Error
This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format.

What are my options? can i play Kodi's M3U playlists in Jellyfin? if yes How?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for any assistance provided

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - Maxy TV - 2024-01-22

Hello friend!
I'm also working with m3u on my Jellyfin, in my case with movies and series, although I believe it works the same way as with music.

For Jellyfin to be able to play m3u, you have to do it through files with the .strm extension, which is nothing more than a .txt text document where you input the m3u link of just one song (or a single playable file).

I know it's tedious; you probably need to create a bot or script that extracts the m3u links from the list and inserts each of them into a .txt file, assigns the name of the song (in your case, a song, in mine, movies), and inserts the m3u link of the specific song inside.

You can create a script that does this massively and turns a whole m3u list into many .strm files.

I know I'm responding late, but I hope it helps.

Best regards.

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - wbravin - 2024-01-31

(2024-01-22, 12:53 PM)Maxy TV Wrote: Hello friend!
I'm also working with m3u on my Jellyfin, in my case with movies and series, although I believe it works the same way as with music.

For Jellyfin to be able to play m3u, you have to do it through files with the .strm extension, which is nothing more than a .txt text document where you input the m3u link of just one song (or a single playable file).

I know it's tedious; you probably need to create a bot or script that extracts the m3u links from the list and inserts each of them into a .txt file, assigns the name of the song (in your case, a song, in mine, movies), and inserts the m3u link of the specific song inside.

You can create a script that does this massively and turns a whole m3u list into many .strm files.

I know I'm responding late, but I hope it helps.

Best regards.

Hello

Thank you for your reply

Hope you were late because you were having fun LOL

Sorry
I'm not a IT individual, 

I have no clue where to locate directory where jellyfin playlists are saved.
In addition i have no idea on how to build a script to achieve this

My jellyfin is installed as a truenas core jail, and therefore the jellyfin files  are locate in an ix-application dataset which i have no access to.

IMHO

Jellyfin should be able to read m3u files. This is pretty much an standard format

Thank you very much for your help

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - esjaysee - 2024-01-31

Not sure if this will help since I don't use Kodi, but have you looked into the Jellyfin plugin for Kodi?

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-kodi

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - wbravin - 2024-01-31

(2024-01-31, 03:08 PM)esjaysee Wrote: Not sure if this will help since I don't use Kodi, but have you looked into the Jellyfin plugin for Kodi?

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-kodi

Thank you for your reply

I did try the kodi plugin to no avail

it does not solve the issue. Jellyfin still gives me an error

FYI
i did create a post on the recommendation and suggestion section of the forum. 

|I asked if possible to add the following functionality
1) read M3U playlists
2) the possibility to move the playlist to a custom folder (NAS or Device)
3) the ability to sort the playlist and save the sort playlist once sorted
4 ) the ability to move up or down a track in the playlist sequence

This would make Jellyfin the daddy of music media players

Once again thank you

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - esjaysee - 2024-02-01

I was tripping around online and came across this, maybe it'll help for now.
https://github.com/erdesigns-eu/M3U2STRM

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - wbravin - 2024-02-01

Thank you very much for this

allass i do not have the knowledge to understand what to do with this code.

where to install it
how to modify it
how to run it

would you be able to modify and guide me through the installation for a fee?

Thank you

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - esjaysee - 2024-02-01

Let me tinker with it when I get a chance, but I'm assuming being php you need to run it through a local hosted web server with php. And no fees for help 😀

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - wbravin - 2024-02-03

(2024-02-01, 09:30 PM)esjaysee Wrote: Let me tinker with it when I get a chance, but I'm assuming being php you need to run it through a local hosted web server with php.  And no fees for help 😀

thank you for all your help

RE: Importing M3U Playlists - Curve5523 - 2024-02-12

I know this is an old thread but I was running into a similar issue importing my m3u playlists into Jellyfin. As search kept sending me here I figured I would drop how I got it working for future folks to find. My version of Jellyfin is v10.8.13

I had created an m3u playlist from a folder of mp3s using the following command:

#! /bin/bash

ls -1 *.mp3 > playlist.m3u

I then had added the folder as a new library. Jellyfin saw the playlist no problem, but in Jellyfin the playlist was empty. Attempting to play the playlist anyway gave an error about not being able to play the format sent. To fix the issue, from Jellyfin, I first selected the playlist and went to "Edit Metadata" and locked all fields, then I selected "Refresh Metadata". After a minute or so the song list began to populate. From that point I was able to play the playlist fine. I'm not sure if locking the metadata fields was necessary, but I was poking around trying random stuff as my Google-Fu was failing me.

@wbravin - I don't know if this is of any help to you and the issue you had, and if not, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

Edit: Just tried it without locking the metadata. Worked fine. All that is required to solve the issue I was having is to open the playlist within Jellyfin and then select "Refresh Metadata". You may need to refresh the page for the changes to show up.