Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin for Kodi problem - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin for Kodi problem (/t-jellyfin-for-kodi-problem)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin for Kodi problem - Charlesy1993 - 2023-11-26

Hi I have installed Jellyfin for Kodi add on and added the manual server address etc.
However I am only able to access the content by actually going into the add on app within Kodi. The titles don't populate on the main Kodi Home Screen under the movies or tv shows sections.
I had also added the jellyfin sync add-on in the jellyfish server too.
Does anyone know how to fix it so it shows movies/tv show titles on the main Kodi home screen?

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-26

you must sync your jellyfin libraries to kodi https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi#library-syncing
note; this is a function of 'jellyfin for kodi' and not offered by it's counterpart 'jellycon'

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - Charlesy1993 - 2023-11-29

Thanks I reset and selected libraries

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - pixel24 - 2023-12-05

If you need hardware acceleration you have to use JellyCon. The "normal" Jellyfin plugin cannot do this,

As you have noticed, no widgets are displayed on the main screen when using JellyCon.

I tried to do this manually some time ago but it is a bit complicated so I left it that way.

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-05

(2023-12-05, 12:08 PM)pixel24 Wrote: If you need hardware acceleration you have to use JellyCon. The "normal" Jellyfin plugin cannot do this,

incorrect; neither addon has anything to do with the actual playback which is done by kodi so hardware acceleration is possible with both

these only allow kodi to communicate with the jellyfin server, the jellyfin has extra functionality to bring content directly into the kodi database

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - pixel24 - 2023-12-06

(2023-12-05, 01:55 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2023-12-05, 12:08 PM)pixel24 Wrote: If you need hardware acceleration you have to use JellyCon. The "normal" Jellyfin plugin cannot do this,

incorrect; neither addon has anything to do with the actual playback which is done by kodi so hardware acceleration is possible with both

these only allow kodi to communicate with the jellyfin server, the jellyfin has extra functionality to bring content directly into the kodi database

That surprises me. I installed an nVIDIA Quadro Pro in my server some time ago and set up the hardware acceleration as described in the documentation.

On a Kodi client with the normal Jellyfin plugin, the playback of H265 / 4k media generated a constant CPU load of 100%. The device became very warm. I then asked on github and was told that the normal Jellyfin plugin does not support hardware acceleration or not in conjunction with the Core i3 in my Kodi client. See here:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/discussions/9774

I then removed the Jellyfin plugin and installed and set up JellyCon. Apart from that, nothing else was changed and the same movie was played. Now there was no significant CPU load when playing on the client.

This made the statement seem logical to me.

with best
pixel24

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - mcarlton00 - 2023-12-06

Both Kodi addons have options to forcibly transcode files (settings page for each attached).  Neither of them will transcode by default, because generally Kodi has no need to transcode.  It's playback code is resilient enough that it can play virtually anything we throw at it.  That depends, of course, on your client hardware not being a potato and being able to keep up.

But I think the confusion here is when hardware acceleration is used.  The client doesn't use hardware acceleration, period.  Hardware acceleration on the server only comes into play when something is transcoding from the server.  So if something doesn't request a transcode, the hardware acceleration you have set up in the server might as well not exist.

As for your widgets comment, there's a kinda barebones walkthrough for that in this issue: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellycon/issues/14.  It's specific for embuary, but most skins are customizable in a similar way.

nullnull

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-06

(2023-12-06, 09:23 AM)pixel24 Wrote: That surprises me. I installed an nVIDIA Quadro Pro in my server some time ago and set up the hardware acceleration as described in the documentation.

On a Kodi client with the normal Jellyfin plugin, the playback of H265 / 4k media generated a constant CPU load of 100%. The device became very warm. I then asked on github and was told that the normal Jellyfin plugin does not support hardware acceleration or not in conjunction with the Core i3 in my Kodi client. See here:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/discussions/9774

I then removed the Jellyfin plugin and installed and set up JellyCon. Apart from that, nothing else was changed and the same movie was played. Now there was no significant CPU load when playing on the client.

This made the statement seem logical to me.

with best
pixel24

you needed to qualify what you meant

to clarify, i was talking about "client side" hardware acceleration being available, which negates the need for "server side" transcoding in turn no need for server side hardware acceleration

if your "client" is not capable of a codec as the github issue suggests then you needed to go into the addon settings for the "jellyfin for kodi" addon and turn on force transcode
in that case, it would use "server side" hardware acceleration

i use jellyfin for kodi with that setting and none of my clients are capable of decoding VC1 so that is the only codec i force transcode

in recap, hardware acceleration in both client and server are available but if you want transcoding done by the server you have to set it in the addon's settings and make sure you are using addon mode for playback and not native, native just opens the file directly without interaction with the server

and i have no idea how jellycon managed to work for you, there *should have been no difference

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - pixel24 - 2023-12-07

I have ripped my BlueRay's as H256 in the MKV container. My Kodi client is an older Core i3 which cannot decode this format in hardware.

Do I understand you correctly that in this constellation I can instruct the server to take over or force the hadrware acceleration and my Kodi client can use this with the normal plugin without the CPU working at 100%?

Then I will take a closer look at this again.

RE: Jellyfin for Kodi problem - mcarlton00 - 2023-12-07

Yes, there is a setting for "Transcode H265/HEVC" in the Jellyfin for Kodi settings. I did the same thing for one of my clients that was a Pi3. I've largely moved all my clients to Jellycon now though, so I don't really run JF4K anymore except for dev or verification work. Use what works for you.