Jellyfin Forum
Trakt syncs ony way - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Trakt syncs ony way (/t-trakt-syncs-ony-way)

Trakt syncs ony way - LooneyToonsz - 2023-11-27

Jellyfin version server: 10.8.12
Jellyfin version client:  10.8.12
Installed using Windows installer on Windows 10.

I have Trakt.tv as a plugin for Jellyfin. It syncs well between the different Jellyfin clients. But I also use Novaplayer, which is just a videoplayer.
I added the Trakt.tv plugin for this as well. When I watch an episode for 20 mins on Jellyfin, it syncs up well in the Nova player. But not the other way round.
If I watch a certain amount of time or even finish an episode in Nova player, it does not update in Jellyfin. If go to my catalogue on Trakt.tv, I do see the progress of the Nova player,
but it does not update on Jellyfin accordingly. But if I watch a new episode on Jellyfin, it will show up in Nova player immediately with the right timestamp as well. 
So Jellyfin does sync well to Trakt.tv and other clients, but when I watch using Nova player, it somehow does not pull the new data from Trakt.tv. Does this have to do with clients?
That Jellyfin only syncs Jellyfin clients and is able to distinguish between other clients like Nova player, so that it won't pull that synced data.
Is there a way to configure this if that would be the case.

I am using Nova player for watching downloaded episodes offline, so being able to sync between the two applications would be ideal.

RE: Trakt syncs ony way - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-27

to clarify; you download the media offline to your device and use an external player (novaplayer which is not jellyfin) while being offline and jellyfin is supposed to know you downloaded and consequently watched a specific episode?

RE: Trakt syncs ony way - LooneyToonsz - 2023-11-27

No, that is not what I said. I do have the episodes downloaded to my phone, but I didn't say I was offline. I am online and the sync data does sync from Nova player to Trakt. I can confirm this on the website of Trakt.tv. When I watch on Jellyfin, it also syncs to Trakt.tv and it syncs to Nova player. But the problem is that the progress from Nova player (which does sync properly) does not show up in Jellyfin. So as far as I know, the issue is somewhere between Trakt and Jellyfin.

It might be intended to work like this, or it something completely different. But I thought I would just ask, since it would be nice if I could use it like that.

RE: Trakt syncs ony way - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-27

that's more clear
the only thing i can think to suggest is this
go to the jellyfin server -> dashboard -> plugins -> trakt
look at the options marked "import from trakt"
should several; skip unwatched, skip watched, playback

outside of that i suspect collisions where the timing is an issue where nova updates to trakt after jellyfin checked trakt or jellyfin updates trakt before importing from trakt, any other number of combinations possible

RE: Trakt syncs ony way - LooneyToonsz - 2023-11-27

(2023-11-27, 09:08 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: that's more clear
the only thing i can think to suggest is this
go to the jellyfin server -> dashboard -> plugins -> trakt
look at the options marked "import from trakt"
should several; skip unwatched, skip watched, playback

outside of that i suspect collisions where the timing is an issue where nova updates to trakt after jellyfin checked trakt or jellyfin updates trakt before importing from trakt, any other number of combinations possible

That unfortunately doesn't fix it. I have tried playing around with it. It might just be by design, intentional or unintentional.
Just to clarify:
When I download episodes on Jellyfin, it downloads the episodes into my downloads folder of my phone. So it is not like Netflix right, whereby you can download the episode and still watch within the Netflix app offline. So that I were to download an episode on Jellyfin, that I can still use the Jellyfin app and videoplayer, but just not use data for streaming the episode. It would be nice to download the episode at home on WiFi and then watch the episode elsewhere while still connected to 5G but not use the data for streaming the episode since it downloaded.  If it could then still sync with Trakt.tv when I am connected to internet again, it would be even better of course.