Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." (/t-solved-playback-error-this-client-isn-t-compatible)

Pages: 1 2

Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - Representing_all_cats - 2023-11-29

Hello,

I seem to be having trouble playing back some 4K HEVC files via a web client on the local network. The movies will play fine when using a Chrome client on the same machine as the server, but when I try on the network machine I get the following error: Error

"This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format."

For reference, both machines are Windows based, with the server running Windows 11 and the client running Windows 10. I can play the files with hardware accelerated transcoding on my iPhone with no issue, as well as through VLC on both machines. I've also found that other HEVC files will play fine with the JF web client on the network machine so it's not every single one. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge on the network machine and they all generate the same error.

So far I've tried the following to resolve:
  • Signed out and back in with a different, non-admin account
  • Turned off HEVC encoding
  • Turn off all hardware acceleration (using Intel's normally, which works GREAT for only having a 12100)
  • Updated to 10.8.13 server

I have a couple of logs of from the unplayable files below.

.txt   JF Log Unplayable 1.txt (Size: 19.6 KB / Downloads: 71)

.txt   JF Log Unplayable 2.txt (Size: 72.79 KB / Downloads: 30)

Thanks for the help!

RE: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - Venson - 2023-11-29

Hey @Representing_all_cats

According to your logs, your server is really barely able to transcode those media files.
If you play with VLC you are not using jellyfin to transcode those media but your local PC that is playing the media which also most times do not even require transcoding.

RE: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - Representing_all_cats - 2023-11-29

Thanks for replying @Venson. Unfortunately I’m confused by your response…

Those logs are for two files that refuses to play at all, so ‘barely’ working would be a gross overstatement.

The server will transcode the exact same files from HEVC 4K or 1080p to 264 720p and play on my iPhone in the Safari web player just fine. It will do it at 50-60 fps for a native 4K, and over 300 fps for a native 1080p.

I also tried playing in Chrome on a different computer through a VPN this morning (accessed JF server via https). No trouble transcoding HEVC 4k to 264 and says 60 fps in the playback info.

Can you help me understand why transcoding to my iPhone and a 'remote' Chrome client on Windows works flawlessly, but to a local Chrome client fails completely? It doesn’t seem like the server hardware would be at fault in this case.

Note: I understand that VLC won’t require transcoding, I only mentioned it as a troubleshooting step.

Thanks again!

Playback screenshots and successful playback log below:

.txt   JF Log - Working.txt (Size: 73.21 KB / Downloads: 31)

RE: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-29

Can you replicate the problem and share your full jellyfin log with us?

RE: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - Representing_all_cats - 2023-11-29

@TheDreadPirate Absolutely! I will try when I’m back home this evening.

In the mean time, would you be able to tell me how to pull these ‘full’ logs? The logs I shared previously were pulled by selecting ‘logs’ from the system tray icon and saving the latest file in its entirety. If there is another method, I am unaware of it.

Btw, I looked in the troubleshooting forum guide and FAQ, but it didn’t have any instructions on ‘full’ logs, just that ‘debug level’ was best. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, but it may help many of us new users to link to a guide from there.

Thanks!

RE: Playback error "This client isn't compatible..." - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-29

(2023-11-29, 06:28 PM)Representing_all_cats Wrote: In the mean time, would you be able to tell me how to pull these ‘full’ logs? The logs I shared previously were pulled by selecting ‘logs’ from the system tray icon and saving the latest file in its entirety. If there is another method, I am unaware of it.

This is what I mean.  Go to the log directory and save/copy the latest log.

(2023-11-29, 06:28 PM)Representing_all_cats Wrote: Btw, I looked in the troubleshooting forum guide and FAQ, but it didn’t have any instructions on ‘full’ logs, just that ‘debug level’ was best. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, but it may help many of us new users to link to a guide from there.

I've never found debug logging to be helpful with jellyfin.  At least not with playback issues.  It just clutters the log more.

(2023-11-29, 06:48 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: This is what I mean.  Go to the log directory and save/copy the latest log.

In the original post there were two separate logs where playback didn't work and I got the error message in the subject of this thread. Are you asking for a different log than those? I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly... I'm legitimately confused how and what to do if the logs I sent aren't what you want.

The logs you shared are ffmpeg logs. Not the jellyfin server log. The server log will start with log_<date> and not ffmpeg.

(2023-11-29, 07:08 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The logs you shared are ffmpeg logs.  Not the jellyfin server log.  The server log will start with log_<date> and not ffmpeg.

I really appreciate the clarification. I was able to view the logs through the dashboard remotely so I didn't have to wait till I got home. I didn't even realize the full logs were in there as they were sorted below dozens ffmpeg logs from this morning. 

Note that I got an error 'unable to process request' from the one marked with today's date so I pulled yesterday's. I'm guessing the timestamps won't match the ffmpeg logs I posted. I also had to truncate this one as the original was 500KB, but it looks like it still has failed attempts to play the same files.

Please take a look and let me know if that one has the right information. If not, would it be better to try to find the ffmpeg logs from last night or troubleshoot access to today's log? Does it only save the file out at the end of the day?

Thanks!

.txt   JF Log Full (Truncated).txt (Size: 171.9 KB / Downloads: 35)

This sounds like a client side issue. As far as I can tell, the server is not the problem.

What are the specs of this Windows CLIENT?

On the Windows client, you can try installing Jellyfin Media Player instead of using the web client. Though the web client should work.

Can you also try opening the dev console in Chrome and watch for anything unusual when you try to play something?