Jellyfin Forum
Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? (/t-restructure-of-libraries-possible-without-resetting-watched-status)

Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - yshi - 2023-11-29

I currently have my library structured as such:

Media
>Movies
>>Anime
>>>720x480
>>>>Akira
>>>>etc.
>>>1920x1080
>>>>Ghost in the Shell
>>>>etc.
>>Children
>>>720x480
>>>>13 Going on 30
>>>>etc.
>>>1920x1080
>>>>Despicable Me
>>>>etc.
>>etc.
>TV
>>Anime
>>>720x480
>>>>Helsing
>>>>etc.
>>>1920x1080
>>>>Cowboy Bebop
>>Cartoons

And so on. When I first migrated from Emby, I'd mapped each category under Movies/TV individually, but there were issues, which I'd eventually determined to be due to a home recording sitting raw under General rather than in it's own self-named folder. At that point, for reasons I don't recall, I'd mapped the Movies directory to my movies library, and TV to tv.

Fast forward to now, and I'm rethinking the general structure, potentially the general categories, but mainly the resolutions, and would like to be able to disable categories for users that have no interest, which is only doable if I have multiple feeds in the library, AFAIU.

Is there a way to restructure my library, so that on rescan everything is still there (seeing as I'm only moving things around and not adding or removing media), so that all users will not have to go through and flag everything they've already watched as watched?

I'm guessing not, and I should hurry up and rip the bandade sooner than later as things will just get farther out of sync over time.

RE: Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-29

yes, there is a way, i use the trakt plugin for this functionality

i am guessing you are not already using this so when you first set it up go to scheduled tasks on the server and have it export to trakt

after you restructure there is a second scheduled task you can run "Import watched states"

it may not be perfect and you will notice everything is reordered based on date added but watched states are usually accurate

extra notes in case privacy is a concern
trakt can be set to private on their site
you can create an anonymized trakt account with a junk email

RE: Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - yshi - 2023-11-29

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to look into that.

RE: Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - yshi - 2024-01-25

(2023-11-29, 03:41 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: yes, there is a way, i use the trakt plugin for this functionality

i am guessing you are not already using this so when you first set it up go to scheduled tasks on the server and have it export to trakt

Is there something special required for that to work?

I've just created an account on trakt.tv, installed the plugin, restarted the server, clicked on the plugin, authorized my user for the device, popped over to Scheduled Tasks and set uploading to every 15 minutes, and an hour later trakt.tv still claims I've never watched anything.

RE: Restructure of Libraries possible without resetting watched status? - yshi - 2024-01-25

Never mind, I think once I'd started watching something on each account, that that account would start syncing its history.