Jellyfin Forum
Linking domain and remote access - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Linking domain and remote access (/t-linking-domain-and-remote-access)

Pages: 1 2

Linking domain and remote access - unshavendillon - 2023-12-01

Sidenotes, I am completely amateurish when it comes to networking, but I understand many basic aspects of networking and understand the concepts behind some more "advanced" features.  One of my goals is a NAS soon for my household, but, alas, money

My ISP doesn't allow static IPs for residential. 

After getting it up and running locally, I wanted to be able to share it with friends via a domain. 

I started by testing it by opening up 8096.  BUT the problem is from dynamic IP

After giving my friends the ip:port to test is when I found out I had a dynamic IP as I never really had much reason to go hunting for it regularly (naturally my WAN to my PC is static)

So I went on a mission to figure out something with my incredibly limited knowledge. 

The first thing I went for was nginx, but between using docker and other necessary systems, I was having issues maintaining connection. 

So I found this post on the official (and essentially defunct which is why I am here) subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/no1bok/help_linking_a_custom_domain_to_jellyfin_server/

I followed it to a tee (including freeing up 80 and 443 but they keep closing for some reason) making sure to replace the necessary port information and system information.  Even got caddy up and going successfully and have viewed in real time Dynu functioning as a DDNS as intended.  Simultaneously I grabbed a GoDaddy domain for a year real cheap, and was looking forward to using that. 

My issue, (and maybe the main issue here?) is understanding exactly the difference between example.com and your.ddns.url in the tutorial. I understand that your.ddns.url is found from the control panel for Dynu, and it's the one that I bought from  GoDaddy, but how is example.com different?
Regardless, my CNAME is set up as name: player - data: example.me assuming that it would be player.example.me.  And when typed in that works in a web browser just bringing me to a GoDaddy page. 
But in Jellyfin, it does nothing. Same for just plain example.me

I can still connect by my IP in Jellyfin just fine remotely, and hopefully it stays that way if I sat it up correctly and it doesn't become dynamic again. 

Jellyfin is all set to 8096, the known proxies is set to just my domain (example.me) and remote is allowed. So I'm not sure what the issue is. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

--

P.S. When I turn my VPN on, my IP connection still functions as normal, but when I engage the killswitch jellyfin stops working altogether but my local internet is still active, why is that?

RE: Linking domain and remote access - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-01

First. Dynamic IPs don't change that often. I've been on the same IP for about 6 months at this point.

The rapidity of your IP changing sounds more like your ISP uses CGNAT. Which is a massive can of worms.

RE: Linking domain and remote access - unshavendillon - 2023-12-01

(2023-12-01, 09:13 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: First.  Dynamic IPs don't change that often. I've been on the same IP for about 6 months at this point.

The rapidity of your IP changing sounds more like your ISP uses CGNAT.  Which is a massive can of worms.

I'm above the range of 174 and have confirmed they don't through seeing the same IP in my router and public space online. That was actually my first thought though.

As to why it's changed so much, I've been reconfiguring my network so much so I think that might explain it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE: Linking domain and remote access - unshavendillon - 2023-12-04

Bump if anyone has ideas

TY

RE: Linking domain and remote access - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-04

Who is your ISP?

(2023-12-04, 03:27 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Who is your ISP?

Centurylink

I'm maintaining the ability for remote connections currently through my DDNS (logs show that the IPv4 has been updated several times), but my domain still isn't working for my redirect.  Oddly enough, now the killswitch for my VPN is allowing remote traffic through to my server.  Not sure why the switch up though.

Yeaaaaah. Something is going on. I can't find anything that specifically states CenturyLink uses CGNAT, but your IPv4 address should not be changing that much. I'm on Comcast and it changes only when my modem is off for more than a few minutes (power outage, for example).

Go to this site and compare what it says your public IP is vs what your router says is your IP. Are they the same or different?

https://www.whatsmyip.org/

Yeah I thought as much too and thought it was weird.

I've checked and not withstanding my VPN is active, it's the same IP as my local router settings have for my public IP.

Call your ISP and ask for a static IP? See what they say?

Also, do they support IPv6? I've got my setup running on both IPv4 and IPv6.

I haven't yet, (but I think they do), especially because I just got a "letter" recently (misconfigured DDNS as it was my first time using it and my VPN failed), and I don't want to test the waters lol

They do, but my router currently doesn't (went with theirs because it was free). I'm stuck on 5Gbs speeds on my and IPv4 until I work on my network and get a new 10Gbs router at the beginning of the year along with a NAS instead of my client on my desktop.

Maybe that will fix my issues?