Jellyfin Forum
DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV (/t-dv-hdr-hybrid-files-only-playing-hdr10-despite-device-supporting-dv)

DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - prism2001 - 2023-12-02

i have some DV/HDR hybrid media, in various profiles (6, 7, 8.) they work flawlessly in plex (as in, plays Dolby Vision since my TV supports that), but Jellyfin won't play any of them in Dolby Vision - only HDR10. server is a debian 12 machine with all packages up-to-date (CPU is an i5-7500T). server version is 10.8.12, using the native Debian packages.

the TV is a TCL 55R646 and I'm using the latest beta version of the Jellyfin for Android TV app. I've tried both exoplayer and libvlc, but i'm still only getting HDR10 video.

i checked the logs and i'm not noticing any sort of error, or anything to indicate any sort of failure, and the dashboard shows that the files are direct playing. here is an excerpt from the logs from when i started playing several different files of this nature. would love to be able to play these in all their dolby vision glory if possible! thanks in advance

RE: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-02

just a couple things to note but i have never owned a TCL TV to say what it supports

libvlc does not support dolby vision so any tests are moot for dolby vision
unless transcoding the server has nothing to do with dolby vision; if transcoding jellyfin may or may not transcode to dolby vision (90% sure it does not)
since this is all client side you would need to diagnose the ... "client side" with adb logs or some such

assumptions made that there is no transcoding happening and that the Jellyfin Android TV app is being used

outside of this, i will leave it for someone who has more information about TCL

RE: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - prism2001 - 2023-12-02

alright, so i had kinda made this post sort of under the assumption that this issue was still present, since i was running into it a few months ago, which is when i had tried switching from exoplayer and libvlc, etc. that, and i had forgotten that my client had libvlc forced from that time i was trying to troubleshoot it.

forcing exoplayer, at least in the latest beta, allows Dolby Vision to play. however, setting it to "automatically choose" causes it to revert to HDR10 once again, presumably because it is selecting libvlc, which i now know does not support DV - i feel like exoplayer should be the automatic choice if attempting to load files with DV metadata in them.

either way, though, as long as i force exoplayer i can play these files just fine now, which solves one of my major gripes with JF. now if only exoplayer supported SSA subtitles for all my anime...

RE: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - Jennso - 2024-08-12

I'm having the sameissue but the other way around, I too have hybrid files and my problem is that my TV is only HDR10, using exoplayer now forced since libvlc was removed from ATV jellyfin now, It only sees the DV layer and tries to play and I get a black screen, it doesn't switch to HDR10, wierd behavior, using shield, sm95b ATV version 0.17.1 and server 10.8.9

RE: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-13

Do you have transcoding disabled on the server?

RE: DV/HDR hybrid files only playing HDR10, despite device supporting DV - Jennso - 2024-08-13

It's enabled but I'm doing local direct play, Ideally the file should not be transcoded and use the HDR profile istead of DV one, plex does this by default using exoplayer too.