Jellyfin Forum
Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR (/t-combination-kodi-jellyfin-mpc-be-madvr)

Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - kosta88 - 2023-12-05

Hello,

I want to combine the above noted components:
- Kodi as frontend
- Jellyfin as central server
- MPC-BE as external player
- madVR as renderer

I managed to get it to work without Jellyfin implementation. Meaning: adding SMB share on Kodi to my server and playing back with MPC-BE/madVR.
However, if I involve Jellyfin, MPC-BE won't play. Looking at the logs, it seems like Kodi is sending to MPC-BE wrong link, kinda like this:
\\\\192.168.1.1\\Mediafiles\\Movie.mkv
Where there should be two backslashes, there are four, and where only one should be, there are two.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

RE: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-05

(2023-12-05, 05:47 PM)kosta88 Wrote: it seems like Kodi is sending to MPC-BE wrong link, kinda like this:
\\\\192.168.1.1\\Mediafiles\\Movie.mkv
Where there should be two backslashes, there are four, and where only one should be, there are two.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

smh

in computers that's called "escaping" https://www.notecasepro.com/help/help_files/notes/OCjeW9GkNnBBagVB2NZ90A.html

RE: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - kosta88 - 2023-12-05

So, how does that help me?

RE: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-05

It looks like Kodi is escaping the backslashes, but MPC-BE is interpreting the path literally. Is Kodi configured to actually use Jellyfin or is it still "natively" accessing your media? And what happens when you map that network share to a drive letter?

RE: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - kosta88 - 2023-12-06

Thanks for the reply. Jellfin Addon is currently set to "Native (direct paths)". But both have the same problem.
As for mapping: I don't really want to map any drives, and doing so would mean changing the library sources in Jellyfin, which would effectively render all my playlists useless. I've already had them break down couple of times.
Currently, in Jellyfin Library, I only have one path on the upper line, in \\server\sharedfolder\folder format. I also had the 2nd path set to an NFS path, since that is what my other players use for direct play. But... that brings me to another thing:

Today I did further troubleshooting, and was able to playback some titles and some not. Looking at the logs, I saw that with those that work, the playback path is shown as SMB path. For those where playback fails, the path is NFS path.
It's only Jellyfin addon that presents this behavior.
If I take the same movie, add an SMB folder into Kodi directly, say via SMB, it will play it back via external player.

I am completely at a loss why it would choose to play some titles over NFS and some over SMB.

Edit: I am also now testing with mounted SMB shares in Windows. However, I am having an issue that Jellyfin doesn't actually see these.
Maybe important to note: I am running Jellyfin as a service, using a service-account to run the service, logged in as this service-account into Windows and mounted the shares while logged in as this service-account. According to all of my IT-knowledge, this should be enough for Jellyfin to see the additional mounts, but it's not.
Btw. it's a Windows Domain, service user is a domain user with appropriate rights on the share. I can also confirm that this user can access and mount shares correctly. Since Jellyfin Service is also started with it, I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to access those.

Ideas?

RE: Combination Kodi+Jellyfin+MPC-BE+madVR - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-06

Reboot or restart the service?

Nah... I wasn't able to get it to work with a network path in Jellyfin or with Jellyfin accessing mounted network shares in windows.

The only way I found it to work:
Symlinked SMB shares to c:\folder(s) and then setting that as a library source.
I don't know if everything will work as desired, maybe I have to adapt the network share, but at least MPC-BE is playing now.