Jellyfin Forum
2160p anime lags due to subs - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: 2160p anime lags due to subs (/t-2160p-anime-lags-due-to-subs)

2160p anime lags due to subs - maxplosive - 2023-07-11

So when I play anime with ASS subs I see a message that the subs are burning in and to wait a few seconds and it works fine with all shows except for those in 2160p because then they lag every now and then, is this because my CPU is too weak? I'm currently just running the server on an old laptop but planning on building a NAS later this month and was looking at a Topton mobo with a celeron N5105, would that CPu fix this issue?

RE: 2160p anime lags due to subs - Host-in-the-Shell - 2023-07-11

Well, in order to help you we need to know what kind of hardware you're running on the server and also the client that you're using to watch; maybe post some transcoding logs as well.

Typically you want to aim for a client that is capable of direct playing the media that is in your format(s). In regards to subtitles, there's also a comprehensive table of which of their formats are supported or not in which video codec, to enable direct play. Keep in mind that if you use subtitles that are unsupported for a specific file, you will be forced to transcode and this can result in the performance hit you mentioned. The solution is to provide subtitles that are compatible, be it new ones or by converting the ones you have if possible.

As for recommendations, taking a shot in the dark here since you mention a desire to go for Intel in your upgrade, the documentation also lists a kind of "tier list" for it. You can probably contrast and compare those specifications to your budget.

RE: 2160p anime lags due to subs - maxplosive - 2023-07-11

(2023-07-11, 05:05 PM)Host-in-the-Shell Wrote: Well, in order to help you we need to know what kind of hardware you're running on the server and also the client that you're using to watch; maybe post some transcoding logs as well.

Typically you want to aim for a client that is capable of direct playing the media that is in your format(s). In regards to subtitles, there's also a comprehensive table of which of their formats are supported or not in which video codec, to enable direct play. Keep in mind that if you use subtitles that are unsupported for a specific file, you will be forced to transcode and this can result in the performance hit you mentioned. The solution is to provide subtitles that are compatible, be it new ones or by converting the ones you have if possible.

As for recommendations, taking a shot in the dark here since you mention a desire to go for Intel in your upgrade, the documentation also lists a kind of "tier list" for it. You can probably contrast and compare those specifications to your budget.

Apparently my laptop has an i5-6198DU so an 8 year old dual core skylake, pretty old Smiling-face  I have no issues playing any other type of content, be it 720p or UHD blurays with subtitles, it's only the 2160p anime with ASS extension subs that stutter so I was wondering if burning in subs on 2160p is that much more demanding than regular 1080p.

RE: 2160p anime lags due to subs - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-11

I believe burning in subs is a transcoding task. When I watch anything with subtitles on my Chromecast with Google TV (Android TV app), it also burns in subtitles and there is a ffmpeg log. And in the ffmpeg log I see it transcoding video.

Watching that same content on my gaming PC or Android phone with the JMP client results in direct play, including subtitles.

So I would say that the problem is that JF server can't keep up. I'm leaning towards CPU limitations and not GPU.

Are you running Windows or Linux?

RE: 2160p anime lags due to subs - maxplosive - 2023-07-11

(2023-07-11, 07:40 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I believe burning in subs is a transcoding task.  When I watch anything with subtitles on my Chromecast with Google TV (Android TV app), it also burns in subtitles and there is a ffmpeg log.  And in the ffmpeg log I see it transcoding video.

Watching that same content on my gaming PC or Android phone with the JMP client results in direct play, including subtitles.

So I would say that the problem is that JF server can't keep up.  I'm leaning towards CPU limitations and not GPU.

Are you running Windows or Linux?

Probably transcoding issue then yes due my CPU being so weak, the fix is obvious but I just wanted to be sure it's CPU limitation. Running barebones Debian 12 but on my next build I was planning on getting Unraid.

RE: 2160p anime lags due to subs - Host-in-the-Shell - 2023-07-11

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 8 year old laptop CPU may have some issues transcoding 2160p videos. Not saying it's 100% scientific, but since the official documentation lists certain Intel hardware from 2016 (which is 6 years old) as "Entry level", I don't think it's a crazy logic leap to make.