Jellyfin Forum
charge for membership? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: charge for membership? (/t-charge-for-membership)

charge for membership? - Hornlesscow - 2023-12-08

I assume charging must be one of the biggest cardinal sins here, but im interested in using JF for an athletic training service. The membership would require varying levels as well, but basically ive partnered with my local HS football team to host and organize training material, mostly onsite recordings, but its not for free and my current setup seems sketchy as it requires payment through wordpress and then an email linking their jf-go invite.

its pretty messy and a little embarrasing, so id like a streamlined sign up and pay process before i approach other teams/schools.

Just to be clear, im not trying to make money off the work of the jellyfin creators. this endevour is going to require tons of work and resources and i simply cant just do it for free because the platform is free, though i would like to reinvest into JF to go towards future developments.

RE: charge for membership? - enesha - 2023-12-09

Seems antithetical to everyone on here and the goal of the project as a whole. Just my thought tho

RE: charge for membership? - Hornlesscow - 2023-12-09

(2023-12-09, 01:47 AM)enesha Wrote: Seems antithetical to everyone on here and the goal of the project as a whole.  Just my thought tho

if so ill gladly take my post down as i honestly wasnt sure how ethical it was. the charge for access is mostly to cover my storage and running costs from the students since each team will have their own jellyfin instance with team colors and such, the bulk of the money i earn is from the onsite recording, editing, organizing, and research/prep i have to do.

i used to just give the coach access to my cloud storage, but using jellyfin for the past few months for my personal entertainment the thought just clicked and the ideas kept coming

RE: charge for membership? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-09

You're free to ask. Don't feel like you have to take this down. Just keep in mind that you're asking in the wrong place. Not because of the making money/covering costs part, per se. Just that the user base for Jellyfin, and thus the pool of available developers, does not have your use case in mind. And that a tool/plugin/docker app/whatever, is likely to just not exist or is not regularly maintained.

RE: charge for membership? - Hornlesscow - 2023-12-09

(2023-12-09, 03:07 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You're free to ask.  Don't feel like you have to take this down.  Just keep in mind that you're asking in the wrong place.  Not because of the making money/covering costs part, per se.  Just that the user base for Jellyfin, and thus the pool of available developers, does not have your use case in mind.  And that a tool/plugin/docker app/whatever, is likely to just not exist or is not regularly maintained.

thanks! thats what i figured, but i was curious if anyone had their own jury rigged system better than the one i set up.