Jellyfin Forum
Subtitle not showing - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Subtitle not showing (/t-subtitle-not-showing)

Subtitle not showing - Vidzzy - 2023-12-13

Hi! I'm new to jellyfin and i'm trying to troubleshoot the subtitles issue i'm having

So: some titles just dont show subtitles at all. 

Server is v.10.8.13 Docker (official)
Client is mainly Samsung Tizen App (0.1.0) but I tried in web and android app to test. The results are the same.

I select the subtitle in app but it just doesn't show. Tried transcoding (selecting some lower quality) still doesn't show. Tried looking at ffmpeg DirectStream logs and Transcode logs but find nothing relevant. May you please help me troubleshooting this? 

My two media tests have srt external subtitles. One show, another wont. There are more media with internal subtitles, which doesn't show, but those I didn't tried troubleshooting yet.

cat FFmpeg.Transcode-2023-12-13_09-25-44_12368759a741dc573632fb19c0ed1c15_286ffc - Pastebin.com
cat FFmpeg.DirectStream-2023-12-13_09-22-04_12368759a741dc573632fb19c0ed1c15_9c - Pastebin.com

edit: watched logs and tried to burn subtitles to video (last resort for me) to see if they show in video, but no success. Seems fine to me in the logs. I'm in a dead end

Subtitles burned

RE: Subtitle not showing - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-13

Can we see your full jellyfin log? Does Jellyfin have read permissions to the SRT files?

RE: Subtitle not showing - Vidzzy - 2023-12-13

(2023-12-13, 05:25 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can we see your full jellyfin log?  Does Jellyfin have read permissions to the SRT files?

Of course you can. Based on your comment I found a few access problems (not to media files, but on cache and it seems that subtitles are extracted and saved on cache folder),  and now most subtitles appear. But there is a delay which can be seen here
[2023-12-13 18:05:03.510 +00:00] [WRN] [19] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ResponseT - Pastebin.com

anything can be done about it?

RE: Subtitle not showing - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-13

It looks like it is extracting the subs on the fly, but it is taking around 90 seconds to complete. You can try installing the Subtitle Extract plugin. It is in the official plugin repo. Once you have it installed, you go to the Dashboard > Scheduled Tasks and then run the job for the subtitle extract.

RE: Subtitle not showing - Rafael Silva - 2024-05-11

(2023-12-13, 08:50 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It looks like it is extracting the subs on the fly, but it is taking around 90 seconds to complete.  You can try installing the Subtitle Extract plugin.  It is in the official plugin repo.  Once you have it installed, you go to the Dashboard > Scheduled Tasks and then run the job for the subtitle extract.

Will this extract the subtitles embedded in all my files?

RE: Subtitle not showing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-11

Yes. It will extract them and save them in the jellyfin data dir. NOT with your media.