Jellyfin Forum
Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin (/t-content-of-mounted-shared-folder-is-not-recognized-by-jellyfin)

Pages: 1 2

Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Daniel_King - 2023-07-12

Hello,

I mounted a shared folder via CFIS under /mnt on Linux. When checking the media via the file manager, all data is there and playable.
I can also add the path '/mnt' to the library in Jellyfin without error, but when I perform a library scan, no media is showing up.

What is the problem?

Thanks in advance!

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-12

My first guess is file/folder permissions. Does the jellyfin user have access to the files/folders?

But to definitively determine that, please upload your jellyfin logs files to pastebin and link it here.

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Daniel_King - 2023-07-12

Which part of the logfile you need?
Because my logfile is 900 KB big and I just can add 512 KB at pastebin.

Edit:
I removed some parts which I thought are duplicated.

https://pastebin.com/gXgR1xcw

PW: pvUGibyamJ

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-12

I'm at work and can't thoroughly analyze the file, but a quick glance tells me that whatever CIFS mount you are pointing jellyfin at includes more than just your library.

I am seeing log entries for scanning OS files in /proc and /usr. It may eventually find your library, but it looks like it is trying to scan the entire OS. Which explains why your log file is so huge.

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Daniel_King - 2023-07-12

No worries. I'm grateful if someone can help me solve this.
I created a new log. I also mounted the shared folder freshly.
It is true, before it looked like I included some local directory from the Linux machine, this was done by mistake.

Fresh logs: https://pastebin.com/uAxYNAJG
PW: 6PJ16ZjZTR

Better in that it isn't scanning OS files, but also not? It didn't scan anything is what it looks like.

This smells like a permissions issue. Does the jellyfin user have read access, either as the owner or group, to the directory and all the files underneath?

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Daniel_King - 2023-07-13

I have to admit, I was checking different commands on the internet to set the permissions for the Jellyfin user right, but this was more like trial and error.

So if you could tell him how to check the user, the permissions, and how to set them, this would be perfect.

How can I check the Docker config to see how the container was created?

I guess I did it like this:

Code:
docker run -d \
--name jellyfin \
--net=host \
--volume jellyfin-config:/config \
--volume jellyfin-cache:/cache \
--mount type=bind,source=/home/user/jellyfin,target=/media \
--restart=unless-stopped \
jellyfin/jellyfin

But in the end, my two media library folders should direct to:
/mnt (for my mounted shared Windows folder, CIFS)
/media (for my locally added files on Linux)

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-13

(2023-07-13, 08:26 AM)Daniel_King Wrote: I have to admit, I was checking different commands on the internet to set the permissions for the Jellyfin user right, but this was more like trial and error.

So if you could tell him how to check the user, the permissions, and how to set them, this would be perfect.

How can I check the Docker config to see how the container was created?

I guess I did it like this:

Code:
docker run -d \
--name jellyfin \
--net=host \
jellyfin/jellyfin

But in the end, my two media library folders should direct to:
/mnt (for my mounted shared Windows folder, CIFS)
/media (for my locally added files on Linux)

First, the fact that Jellyfin is running in docker definitely should have been in your first post.  That changes the troubleshooting scope and steps.

I'm not a docker expert, but it looks like you are mounting the jellyfin user's home directory (/home/user/jellyfin) in the host OS as /media in the container?  And I'm having trouble following what files are hosted where.

You have a separate Windows machine with a SMB share?  You mounted that Windows SMB share on the Linux host at /mnt?  Somewhere within that SMB share, mounted at /mnt, is a folder with your media library?

From the Linux host system's perspective, what is that path?  /mnt/.....? On the Linux host, did you already symlink /media to /mnt/where/ever/your/library/is ?

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - Daniel_King - 2023-07-13

Alright, my setup looks like this.

> The host machine is a Windows 11 computer.

> Within VirtualBox I set up a Linux system that is running "Zorin 16".

> The Host (Windows) and Guest (Linux) are on the same network and can ping each other.

> I shared a folder which is located on Windows and mounted it via CFIS in Linux. This mounted folder is directly mounted under /mnt

> Furthermore, I have a folder created in Linux /media which also contains some media files.

> In the end, in the Linux file manager, I can see and play the media files, which are located in /mnt & /media

> I installed Jellyfin in Docker with the above-mentioned command. It is true that there I specified the " /home/user/jellyfin " as a media target, but back then I didn't know that Jellyfin can't access the home directory by default and that it would also be better to locate the files outside /home .

> In the Jellyfin interface, I created two movie folders (libraries) that direct to the following paths:
/mnt
/media

So now the question is, do I need to add the "/mnt" & "/media" paths to the docker config?

Or/and how do I need to adjust the rights of the Jellyfin(Docker) user to be able to read my folders?

What do you mean by "did you already symlink"?

RE: Content of mounted shared folder is not recognized by Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-13

Code:
docker run -d \
--name jellyfin \
--net=host \
jellyfin/jellyfin

I think your mount parameter should be

Code:
--mount type=bind,source=/media,target=/media \

The way you had it, I think it is mounting /home/user/jellyfin on the Linux system as /media in the container. Which is probably a mostly empty folder.