Jellyfin Forum
Hardware transcoding - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Hardware transcoding (/t-hardware-transcoding)

Hardware transcoding - Toby Hogg - 2023-12-17

System Specs:
Windows 11, Ryzen5 3600XT, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 3060ti.
When trying to play a 4k  x265 stream transcoded it uses 100% GPU and buffers every 30 seconds
NVENC, everything ticked because that's what Nvidia says it supports.

Not sure where to go for troubleshooting this, or is it simply my system cannot handle a 4k stream?
I can provide any info needed such as logs etc

RE: Hardware transcoding - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-17

100% GPU usage is expected. ffmpeg will transcode as fast as possible until it reaches the end of the file.

Can you share your jellyfin server logs and ffmpeg logs with us?

And the full media info for the video in question?

Also what client are you trying to play this video on?

RE: Hardware transcoding - Toby Hogg - 2023-12-17

I think it's these logs. Trying to play on android i've tried the HTML and the integrated player.
It's a 4k media file encoded in hevc. 24FPS and somewhere around the ballpark of 45mbps bitrate. is there any more info you need regarding the media?

(2023-12-17, 10:56 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 100% GPU usage is expected.  ffmpeg will transcode as fast as possible until it reaches the end of the file.

Can you share your jellyfin server logs and ffmpeg logs with us?

And the full media info for the video in question?

Also what client are you trying to play this video on?
A screenshot of the info from in jellyfin as well if that helps. i cant help but see the dropped frames in the info I don't know if that is relevant?

What kind of phone is this? Surprised to see your phone needed FLAC transcoded. But HDR will need to be transcoded.

Your log looks fine. It is transcoding way faster than the frame rate of the video. So any stuttering probably due to networking limitations on the client side.

(2023-12-17, 11:25 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What kind of phone is this?  Surprised to see your phone needed FLAC transcoded.  But HDR will need to be transcoded.

Your log looks fine.  It is transcoding way faster than the frame rate of the video.  So any stuttering probably due to networking limitations on the client side.

It's a pixel 7 is it just due to the original audio being 5.1 so downmixing?
Also, the same thing happens when playing it in chrome(to force transcoding) on the same windows device that hosts the server so it doesn't appear to be the network

On your Pixel 7, play a video again. On your server, keep an eye on the performance tab in task manager. Does anything stand out around when it freezes? Runs out of memory? CPU usage spike?

From the log it doesn't seem to have any issues transcoding and writing it to disk. So something is causing Jellyfin to not serve the transcode files fast enough?

Is your transcode directory on a SSD or HDD?

null
(2023-12-17, 11:38 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: On your Pixel 7, play a video again.  On your server, keep an eye on the performance tab in task manager.  Does anything stand out around when it freezes?  Runs out of memory?  CPU usage spike?

From the log it doesn't seem to have any issues transcoding and writing it to disk.  So something is causing Jellyfin to not serve the transcode files fast enough?

Is your transcode directory on a SSD or HDD?

Ram and CPU all fine.
See the screenshot it's reading from a HDD(E) to transcode to a SSD© It doesn't seem to be a very uniform use of resources on the SSD i don't know if that is the issue but there doesn't seem to be anything else