Jellyfin Forum
New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media (/t-new-to-everything-jellyfin-not-detecting-media)

New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - aviavy - 2023-12-18

Hello All,

I have recently dove head-first into a homelab and I am absolutely new to everything.
I am running a TrueNAS Scale server with a 15 x 10TB shelf - 8 allocated to JellyFin in RaidZ1

I followed this guide -  to setup JellyFin. I can access and logon to JellyFin. I can see the folders I have created, but JellyFin isn't detecting anything.....it's been a couple of hours and nothing.
I have followed the file naming convention and folder layout, but still nothing.
I have hit the button for the manual scan, but it quickly (like 1/2 sec) scans, not seeing anything.
I highly suspect it's a permissions issue, but I followed the permissions setting in the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2023-12-18

Following the video, you used Truechart's release for Jellyfin? And you used the NFS share option to mount the folders to the Jellyfin container? It could be that you need to reconfigure your NFS shares of the media.

When you get to the section for additional storage, maybe try mounting using the host path option. In the previous version of Truenas Scale (Bluefin), there was an option that you had to turn off if you wanted to host path mount folders that were shared with SMB. It was recommended that your media files be mounted with NFS to avoid this issue. However in the current release of Scale (Cobia), that option is gone, so it's up to you if you want to use the host path or NFS option.

Also, if it's a permission issue, you could run Jellyfin as root to see if that will allow it to see the files. If so, you need to figure out what the IDs are for the user that can see your media and have it run the Jellyfin container.

The Truenas Scale app GUI allows you to pull Docker images and run them. You could pull the latest official Jellyfin image directly from the Docker repo site yourself so you don't have to wait for the people that maintain the Jellyfin images on Scale's app section to update those. If you do this, just don't fill out the option to configure the container's user and group ID to have it run as root if you want to test if it's a permission issue that you have.

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - aviavy - 2023-12-18

(2023-12-18, 05:11 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Following the video, you used Truechart's release for Jellyfin? And you used the NFS share option to mount the folders to the Jellyfin container? It could be that you need to reconfigure your NFS shares of the media.

When you get to the section for additional storage, maybe try mounting using the host path option. In the previous version of Truenas Scale (Bluefin), there was an option that you had to turn off if you wanted to host path mount folders that were shared with SMB. It was recommended that your media files be mounted with NFS to avoid this issue. However in the current release of Scale (Cobia), that option is gone, so it's up to you if you want to use the host path or NFS option.

Also, if it's a permission issue, you could run Jellyfin as root to see if that will allow it to see the files. If so, you need to figure out what the IDs are for the user that can see your media and have it run the Jellyfin container.

The Truenas Scale app GUI allows you to pull Docker images and run them. You could pull the latest official Jellyfin image directly from the Docker repo site yourself so you don't have to wait for the people that maintain the Jellyfin images on Scale's app section to update those. If you do this, just don't fill out the option to configure the container's user and group ID to have it run as root if you want to test if it's a permission issue that you have.

Yes I did use Truechart's release for JellyFin as of right now I have tried both NFS Share and Host Path, but the same result for both.

Would this be a better guide to follow then? TrueNAS Scale: Plex and Jellyfin Setup with SMB

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - aviavy - 2023-12-18

I think this might be my issue. For all tutorials I have seen, they are able to check these boxes (See attached image), but they are greyed out in mine unless I select the Home Directory.
How to I get these permission boxes checked, or should I just select the Share folder for the Home Directory?

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2023-12-18

If I recall correctly, that screen is from the user account GUI section. You don't need to mess with that unless the media will be stored in a user's home directory.

I can better help later when I get access to my Scale server, so I'll post again then if others don't come help you.

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - aviavy - 2023-12-19

anyone?

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-19

(2023-12-19, 02:28 PM)aviavy Wrote: anyone?

not sure how many jellyfin users use truenas, might have better luck finding a truenas user that uses jellyfin https://www.truenas.com/community

(personally i would just shell into the box and fix permissions from the CLI but i have never used truenas so i wouldn't know where to begin on that route)

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - aviavy - 2023-12-19

I'll give them a try!

RE: New to Everything - JellyFin Not Detecting Media - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2023-12-20

Your issue from what I can see is more of a Truenas issue than a Jellyfin one. As tmsrxzar pointed, you'll probably find more help in the Truenas community forums.
Anyways, sorry for the late reply. I meant to post yesterday but things got in the way.

Hopefully you got help yesterday. If not, I may be able to help a bit (I also run Jellyfin on a Truenas Scale server, but you may find people with better help on the Truenas forums).
Could you tell/show:
  1. Truenas Scale version.
  2. Dataset structure leading to the dataset for your Jellyfin media (along with the permissions for each dataset)
  3. How did you upload your media to the Jellyfin media dataset/folder?
  4. Picture of how you're mounting the dataset to the Jellyfin container

Unless you have a reason to stick with Truechart's release of Jellyfin, I can make a guide of sorts on how to install the official Jellyfin docker release (I'll see when I can make it though). Truenas Scale no longer uses Docker, but it runs Docker images using Kubernetes now.
I can also install Truechart's release myself just to see how I can guide you with it as a test, but the adding media part should be the same as using the official Docker image.

From what I'm predicting, you have an issue with how you add your media to a dataset, permissions of dataset, or how you mount the dataset/folder to your Jellyfin container.