Jellyfin Forum
Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? (/t-does-jellyfin-harm-the-nas)

Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - robotboytn - 2023-07-13

Hello.
I got my Jellyfin setup in via docker in a Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb).
All of my media is stored on a Buffalo NAS (Model LS210D).
Both the NAS and the RP4 are connected to my router with CAT6 cable.

On my RP4, I mounted the 2 shared folders (film, music) from the NAS using fstab and everything looks ok as the mountpoint still work after RP4 reboot.
Then I create the symlink to point from jellyfin volume folder to the mountpoint. I can select the media folder when scan library and jellyfin started the scanning.

But the scanning stuck at about 86% and was never completed even if I wait for a whole day.
Besides that, when I start the scan, my NAS feels unresponsive. I can barely connect to the NAS dashboard. Also, from my windows PC that I mapped the network drive to the NAS, I cannot connect to the NAS as well.

I tried to stop the scan and stop jellyfin container, reboot the nas, then I can connect to NAS normally. But when I try to refesh/update metadata of the library, the NAS went unresponsive again.

After a few tries, the NAS rebooted with the following notification: "Many bad sectors have been detected and corrected. This drive may fail at any time"
When I check the disk and reboot NAS, everthing seems normal again.

The infomation of the disk inside NAS is:
Model name: ST2000VN004-2E41
Unit capacity: 1847.6GB
Amount Used: 1076.9 GB
% Used: 58.29
File system: XFS

Appreciate any help.

RE: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-13

Jellyfin does not harm your NAS. Bad sectors can go undetected for a long time if the data located on that sector is not accessed. Your use of Jellyfin simply accessed sectors that hadn't been accessed in a while and revealed the problem.

Depending on whether it is a physical or logical bad sector, it may be possible for the hard drive to work around the bad sectors. Once a hard drive starts to report bad sectors, usually, more will follow. I wouldn't take that risk with my data and neither should you.

Backup your data ASAP and replace the hard drive associated with that message.

RE: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - robotboytn - 2023-07-13

(2023-07-13, 02:48 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Jellyfin does not harm your NAS.  Bad sectors can go undetected for a long time if the data located on that sector is not accessed.  Your use of Jellyfin simply accessed sectors that hadn't been accessed in a while and revealed the problem.

Depending on whether it is a physical or logical bad sector, it may be possible for the hard drive to work around the bad sectors.  Once a hard drive starts to report bad sectors, usually, more will follow.  I wouldn't take that risk with my data and neither should you. 

Backup your data ASAP and replace the hard drive associated with that message.

Thank you for your reply. I will follow your advice and find a new HDD.
Do you have any HDD model recommendations to use with my current NAS?

RE: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-13

I don't know much about your NAS. It looks like this is a single drive NAS, so no RAID to worry about, right? You should go to Buffalo's website and read their compatibility documentation to check if there is a max supported capacity. Any drive from Western Digital, Seagate, or HGST (owned by WD) is fine. Just make sure it is a CMR drive and not SMR and that it is rated to run 24/7.

RE: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - galaxie_ranger - 2023-07-16

I have an LS441DE (4-bay). Buffalo says that maximum drive size is 4TB. But that's not true. The file system they use will support larger drives. I did 3 2TBs when I first populated it, and now I've added an 8TB in the last bay for holding my media for my JF server.

RE: Does Jellyfin harm the NAS? - robotboytn - 2023-07-22

galaxie_ranger dateline='[url=tel:1689525822' Wrote: 1689525822[/url]']
I have an LS441DE (4-bay). Buffalo says that maximum drive size is 4TB. But that's not true. The file system they use will support larger drives. I did 3 2TBs when I first populated it, and now I've added an 8TB in the last bay for holding my media for my JF server.

Mine is 1 bay only. And it doesnt have health monitoring function to check the drive. There is a “check drive” function but it doesnt show  any detail result. I think I will get a new drive, install debian on the ls210d and keep using it while saving up for a 2 or 4 bay sygnology nas